Eprinex for chickens

Do you need information on incubation, hatching or raising? Post here!
Marina
Emu
Emu

Re: Eprinex for chickens

Post by Marina »

That's the way to go, eae. Prevention is always better than dealing with a major infestation.
mychook
Chick
Chick

Post by mychook »

Hi . Just stumbled across this dialogue when searching for info. Just bought a chook unfortunately with scaly leg mite. Initial treatment was a leg dip into meths, and today will start on the oil treatment. She is in quarantine before she joins the family.
About once a year I soak the perches and surrounding woodwork with kerosene, it absorbs quickly and have not seen any side affects on chooks. This will kill borer too. In the WW2 ladies with long hair who pickked up lice and didn't want to shave their heads, would soak their hair and I presume scalp in kerosene, bind their hair and heads with clothe before going to bed! Drastic but effective! So strategy is the mites probably wouldn't like crossing this terrain for a feed!?
Just another thought as I was reading, I wonder, for those with coops like small sheds and/or no drafts, if those fly killing timer permethrin domestic spayers might work. We had a bird mite infestation come into the house a couple of years ago from a rogue birds nest. I bought half dozen sparayers, set strategically as part of treatment for the rooms and felt it had an effect. I had noticed other occasions that if I left them running through the night, you'd be surprised how many creepy crawlies come out at and were found in the morning legs up on the floor, from roaches, white tail spiders, carpet beetle etc and the flies of course ! Barry.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Post by Marina »

There is a difference between scaly leg mites - which live under the scales of the legs and toes on the birds - and red mites (also known as poultry mites) which live in the nooks and crannies of coops and come out at night to suck blood from the chooks.

Dipping your hen's legs into meths will help with getting rid of the scaly leg mites but the oil treatment will be more effective. It's difficult to get enough poison under a scale to kill a leg mite. The best way of killing them is to suffocate them. Something like petroleum jelly, Rawleighs cream or udder cream is ideal.

You won't see an effect for a while because the hen needs to moult first before the old damaged scales fall out and will be replaced with new scales.

To these automatic insect sprays: that's the quickest and most efficient way to create red mites that are resistant to insecticides. Unless you can smother and instantly kill the mites with insecticide it's better to use different methods. If they only get the occasional whiff whee they are, under perches or between bits of wood, they can develop resistance.