Plymouth Rocks

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Plymouth Rocks

Post by Marina »

I'll start with the rare Buff Plymouth Rock. These birds are smaller than the Barred or White Plymouth Rocks which are much more popular but they lay from 6 months of age onwards and they lay an egg a day. I'm not kidding when I say that these birds outlay any Shaver during their lifetime. They don't go broody - too busy laying. The only downside is that the gene pool is tiny and that the hatch rate leaves a lot of room for improvement. Many of the birds that hatch have blue or white in their tails but some look really really good - like this one:

It's a breed that needs attention - it certainly isn't for the faint hearted who expects each and every chick to hatch looking perfect and saleable as a 'pure bred'.
Scarlet
Pheasant
Pheasant

Re: Plymouth Rocks

Post by Scarlet »

Oh, she's beautiful, and with sunny legs to match her feathers. I much prefer the buff colour to barred - just my personal taste. Tempting! ;)
2 Partridge Wyandottes, 5 Black Orpingtons, 2 Blue Orpingtons, 3 Barnevelders, and 2 roosters (Barnevelder and Black Orpington).
windyridgerocks
Chick
Chick

Post by windyridgerocks »

Im looking for some Buff Plymouth Rocks, are there any good lines left...also, ANY Blue Rocks out there too???
Thanks in Advance
Marina
Emu
Emu

Post by Marina »

Hi and welcome to PC! Yes, there are Buff Plymouth Rocks out there - and I've seen a lovely breeding group yesterday! The breeder is contemplating letting them free range - all breeds together - so if you are keen on fertile eggs please give him a ring asap. I post his phone number here but will delete it again in a couple of days: 027 299 3323
windyridgerocks
Chick
Chick

Post by windyridgerocks »

Thanks Marina I've written the number down :) Wont need eggs this season tho. Busy growing young stock, selling trio's and watching the darling POL's combing up. Many Thanks