Red columbian wyandottes

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

Red columbian wyandottes

Postby Foehn » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:52 pm

Apparently not a breed colour that I have found in NZ for standard sized hens, but are available in Bantams.
I have had some real success with this colour project and now have enough hens to test colour stability. I'm looking for an unrelated rooster however. Is there anyone out there in NZ who has also bred RCW's?
This is one of them
https://photos.app.goo.gl/VIJu2Lk5ZCU4yYCH2
Foehn
Quail
Quail

Re: Red columbian wyandottes

Postby Marina » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:56 pm

What a beautiful bird! Very well done.

Don't be too worried about inbreeding - I've gone father over daughter, grandfather over grandddaughter and greatgrandfather over greatgranddaughter and got some really good results. The sire then died so that put an end to it.

I've done a similar thing in ducks, unintentionally, for 5 or 6 seasons. This also ended with the sire being too old to breed (he was 12) but I also got some almost white ducks in the later generations. No worry to us as we only ate them.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby eae » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:49 pm

I know nothing about breeding, but she's gorgeous.. you must be pleased :)
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Foehn » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:12 pm

I am very pleased with her. She's just 6 months old too and started laying about 10 days ago. Her grandmother was a very pleasing bird too, much darker red, but had black legs. I was going to sell her but a breeder told me that leg colour was the easiest to fix, and so he has proven correct. Glad I kept her now, seeing what the third generation is like. If I can't track down a nice RCW boy, I'll try to get a good quality GLW and try him. As long as the red is dominant over laced I ought to get some red as I want to correct a few flaws one or two of the others have. Mainly slightly ragged combs.
Here's a pic of generation 2, Her mother https://photos.app.goo.gl/yTyauRfo1j6Z7N5C9
Foehn
Quail
Quail

Postby eae » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:22 pm

I just love that wyandotte roundness :D Best of luck for your next generation..
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:17 pm

The lacing is quite dominant. I've crossed a GLW with a Buff Cochin (who was more red than buff) and the offspring had reasonable lacing. Is the white in the Wyandotte recessive? If yes - would that be an option? I know white only cancels out black, not red, but still it could be a possibility?

I'll also message someone who's experimenting with Wyandotte colours whether she's got something suitable. Even a bird split for lacing would be better than one that's pure.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Foehn » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:16 pm

Not sure about white being recessive. I have two white hens that have hatched buff and white pullets this year, to the red Wyandotte I bred. he must carry the columbian markings, but doesn't show it, so I don't know if this is normal. That is, whether the cock bird has different feathering to the hen. Another reason why it would be good to try an outcross to see what I get.
One of the things i like about this colour project is that there are some surprises thrown up. Have a gorgeous Wyandotte pullet that was a greenish beige as a chick, with chipmonk marking and She is now laying and glorious. But, she has thrown back to something I think and is a beautiful cuckoo double laced brown with a green Columbian neck, dark greensheen face and tail and bright red rose comb and wattles. I'll try and snap a photo of her too.
Foehn
Quail
Quail

Postby Foehn » Sun May 06, 2018 7:36 pm

Here she is. Dull day so, can't really see the beautiful green sheen. She looks grumpy in this photo too but isn't like that.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xXHw7FvrUuffkPQP6
Foehn
Quail
Quail

Postby Marina » Sun May 06, 2018 11:30 pm

She is very beautiful with her intricate markings.

I've seen silver based Barnevelder females that looked a bit like your hen. The silver was obscured by autosomal red and possibly mahogany but the lighter background gives more contrast to the lacing which looks very nice.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders