Heritage Chooks Wellington

Discuss all chook related things here!
Also:
* The Library

Heritage Chooks Wellington

Postby Naomi » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:25 pm

Hi there, Just starting up a backyard coop for our family to enjoy. It's our first time owning chooks so exciting but also feels like a lot to learn. We would love to support heritage breeds but am having trouble finding some in the Wellington area. Does anyone know of any breeders? If not Is it possible to transport chooks from other areas?? We are particularly interested in frizzles but would consider any child friendly, hardy breeds that are reasonable layers. Thanks in advance
Naomi
Chick
Chick

Re: Heritage Chooks Wellington

Postby eae » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:00 pm

Hi - Hopefully someone else will pop up with some suggestions for breeders in your area. In answer to your second question, yes, you can transport birds from other areas. I think there are a couple of groups that do this, PetBus is one, and I can't remember the name of the other. I think you'll find varying levels of cooperation from people on using transport services, depending on how far they are located from a drop off point.

https://www.petbus.co.nz/
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Naomi » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:04 pm

Thanks very much for your response. I will look into the Petbus option but would of course much prefer to buy locally. Aside from other factors I wonder about the impact of a long trip to the stress levels of the birds.
Naomi
Chick
Chick

Postby sewren » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:44 am

Hi Naomi, if you know what kind of breeds you are thinking about you could check the Rare Breeds directory, which includes heritage chook breeders and their location. Hopefully if you put out a few feelers with local breeders they might know someone who has exactly what you are looking for.

https://www.rarebreeds.co.nz/directorye.html#chooks

If you don't find what you are after there, I would google for a local poultry club and maybe send an email to one of the members - they will have a good local network of breeders so again, should be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck, and great decision to get heritage breeds! :D
Seventeen beautiful chooks in a rainbow of breeds and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby bommotommo » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:01 pm

Hi Naomi Try Urbanchooks. They are in Johnsonville and Tehoro. I Got two lovely Orpington pullets recently from them. They are on trade me and also have a website. :D
bommotommo
Chick
Chick

Postby Kracka » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:51 pm

just one thing - you like the look of Frizzles, but mentioned 'hardy' - Frizzles are not waterproof (because their feathers don't sit flat) - so on the hardiness scale, they're not so good, they have to perch inside a warm dry house at night & need some sheltered/covered run area through the winter, otherwise they run the risk of getting water logged
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Return to General Chicken Keeping