What do I do

Do you need information on incubation, hatching or raising? Post here!

What do I do

Postby llvonn » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:21 pm

Hi, Last month my hen became broody so I purchased some fertile eggs. They should have hatched over the weekend, but nothing. She is still sitting on them with no sign of moving. Not sure what to do.
llvonn
Chicken
Chicken

Re: What do I do

Postby Marina » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:15 pm

Can you get some day-old chicks for her? Or a second lot of eggs? Some good broodies remain on the nest for 6 weeks or more.

I'd wait a couple more days but if there still is nothing a decision should be made. You can de-cluck her by preventing her from going back to her nest.

Very disappointing :cry:
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby llvonn » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:37 am

She'd been on the nest for at least a month. I am really surprised that none of the eggs hatched. The supposedly fertile eggs were not cheap. It is really disappointing. I'm not sure if she would stay on the nest another three weeks - even if I did get more eggs. I am wanting some really placid breeds - not the flighty ones I have. She is a real sweetie - a faverolle I hatched from the eggs you gave me Marina.
llvonn
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:59 am

I can't believe a Faverolles went broody! I only ever had one go broody - once - but she was a good mum. Nice to know that you still have her :D

It's always a problem with shipped eggs - sometimes it's fine, other times it's a total failure.

It's a pity that you are so far away - I've got Black Orps hatching as I write and I can sex them at hatching. Is there anyone in your area who's got day-old chicks?
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby llvonn » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:07 pm

I'm in the manawatu - not sure who's around.
My faverolle is a lovely girl, unfortunately at the bottom of the peking order. The other two constantly bully her at meal times - so I have to put food out in three piles so she has a chance.
llvonn
Chicken
Chicken

Postby sewren » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:07 pm

I agree with Marin, that I'd be looking for some day-old chicks. But that is really disappointing that none of the eggs hatched - this has also happened to me in the past with posted eggs, and the person was really nice and sent me another lot for just the cost of the postage, so it might be worth contacted them to let them know. The problem if they are posted is that it's hard to work out if the eggs were just not fertile, or if they got so shaken around/hot in the post that they didn't develop for that reason. Anyway, I have found that people are keen to hear what happened with the eggs, so it might be worth getting in touch with the seller. Gutted for you, though :(
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby llvonn » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:12 pm

I have emailed the supplier two days ago but heard nothing back. This is the first time I have had issues with posted eggs. I should go out and check whether they are fertile or not. I did let the eggs sit overnight after receiving them - before placing them under the hen. It was the first straightforward egg exchange I have ever had. I just put the eggs down, picked her up and put her on the new eggs while she watched as I took the infertile eggs she was sitting on. So placid - I love this hen. And she's a good mum.
If anyone knows of someone in the manawatu who has day old chicks that are really placid breeds? The closest on Trade Me is Hawkes bay which is a bit too far for me at the moment (getting ready for visitors this weekend).
llvonn
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:38 pm

Sadly there is very little you can do. If there is no-one with day-old chicks in your area the best thing is de-clucking her so she comes back into lay and maybe you'll have better luck next time.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby llvonn » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:44 am

Really strange - but after this time one chick hatched. Not entirely sure why my calculations were off. But she has one chick out of 10 eggs. She is currently in a very small hutch until I get her a larger one. The chick is very well cared for. Already - the other chickens have tried to get in to get the babies food.
llvonn
Chicken
Chicken

Postby sewren » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:17 am

Oh wow! Well, I'm pleased she has at least one little critter to look after having done the sitting - I always feel like they deserve that after putting in the effort, so it's cool that one did hatch in the end!
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby llvonn » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:35 am

Just went out today and discovered the chick dead. Not sure what happened. It was alive last night. I am gutted.
llvonn
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:17 pm

Oh no - that's so sad :cry:
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby llvonn » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:42 pm

I just do not seem to be having a good time with things. All I want is some nice, mild, calm chickens (make that hens) that are friendly and do not bully each other or scream when I pick them up. I have three chickens but only one meets that description and she is bottom of the pecking order. I do not like the other two. :cry:
llvonn
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:20 pm

Would you consider shipping a few Black Orpington pullets from the SI? Owl from Cool Critters Transport wouldn't charge a fortune for a small box with 2 or 3 week old pullets (yes, I can sex them that early).
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby llvonn » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:16 pm

How much would that cost?
llvonn
Chicken
Chicken

Next

Return to Hatching & Raising