Showing for beginners

A place to learn and share show standards and information about showing! As well as upcoming regional sale days.

Showing for beginners

Postby teach » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:23 pm

Might be a silly question, but will I have to join a poultry club in order to enter my birds in any shows? Or can I enter without being a member of any club?
I have a rather magnificent Barnevelder rooster I am considering on showing (well I think he looks good). Not a great shot but I like him. he tries to be tough but my wife just picks him up and tucks him under her arm. It is so deflating for the big fella.

teach
Quail
Quail

Re: Showing for beginners

Postby wolga » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:06 am

In general you don't have to be a member to show your birds. Some shows are members only but not many.
The entry form should state if it's a open show or members only. You should give it a go. He's a pretty boy.
wolga

Re: Showing for beginners

Postby Marina » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:58 am

I, too, think that he's a good looking rooster. A bit hunched up in the photo, though.

It usually only costs $10 to join a poultry club as a member and you can do this at the time you do your entries.

The Christchurch Poultry, Bantam and Pigeon Club offers half price entry fees to members - $1 per bird instead of $2 for non-members. This year the entry fee will be higher - I think $3 per bird for members - as it's the NZ National Show with higher prize money etc.

It's not an expensive hobby to show at a local show. There also are A&P Shows. At Canterbury A&P Show it costs $10 per bird for non-members and $5 per bird for members.

A Barnevelder is relatively easy to prepare for the show - give his feet a good scrub with an old toothbrush, a bit of oil on his legs, comb and wattles and he should be ready to go.

If you'd like a schedule for the Christchurch National Show (Have a look at www.poultryclub.co.nz for details) please send your postal address via PM and I'll pass it on to the show secretary.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Return to Showing, Exhibiting and Sale Days