* Wanted to Buy - Buff and Speckled Sussex Hens *

Have something for sale? Looking to buy something in particular? List your For Sale and Wanted adds here!
Forum rules
~*~IMPORTANT~*~

All topics in this forum have to use the following in the subject line:
WTB, FS, Swap, or Free followed by what it is you would like or are offering,
Include a description of the item e.g. White Silkie Cockerel (not just Cockerel, or Rooster or Silkie) plus your location, and if you are selling and are willing to ship, please put 'will ship'

e.g. FS - White Silkie Cockerel - Auckland, will ship

Once your item has been sold or you've found what you're after, please reply to your thread to let members know - e.g. Sold, thanks!

Threads in this forum will be automatically deleted after 90 days.

* Wanted to Buy - Buff and Speckled Sussex Hens *

Postby jasper39 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:35 pm

Hello Everyone

It has been a while since i have been on the forum - but drop by often to read posts when i need advice.

I have two lovely girls at the moment - a beautiful Rhode island Red and a gorgeous Light Sussex. I am wanting another two birds to complete my little backyard flock, but have had no luck in finding anything locally. I have my heart set on a Buff and Speckled Sussex. I am in Gisborne but happy to travel to Hawkes Bay or the Bay of Plenty.

I have looked on the Rare Breeds website but again have had no luck. So i do hope that someone here on the forum can perhaps help.

I am ideally looking for hens about a year old or point of lay pullets. Any suggestions on where i might have luck in finding suitable birds would be much appreciated :)

Many Thanks Jasper39.
jasper39
Chick
Chick

Re: * Wanted to Buy - Buff and Speckled Sussex Hens *

Postby Marina » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:05 am

Hi Jasper,

Both Buff and Speckled Sussex are quite rare. I only know one breeder of Buff Sussex and she is in Canterbury.

Speckled Sussex have only recently been introduced and a few of the egg farmers do have them now.

However, at this time of year very few people have surplus hens and pullets so maybe a bit closer to Christmas you are able to find something.

If one of your hens goes broody you could try to get some fertile eggs for her.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby jasper39 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:42 pm

Hi Marina

Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my post - i hope that you and all your feathered friends are keeping well :)

I appreciate your advice - and yes it appears that i am almost looking for an endangered species! My chicken journey began with beautiful brown shavers four years ago, but sadly all have now passed away and it was a very difficult and sad time for myself and my children - all of them passed with egg related issues and i vowed not to have shavers again - which in itself is sad because they were the most friendly birds with great personalities and i miss them all dearly.

So i decided to get heritage birds - but i found that a bit of a challenge as i struggled to find anything locally - but my efforts paid off and i found my two lovely girls. The people i got them from do not have any birds available - although neither had the buff or speckled sussex when i got my girls.

I only discovered that there were buff and speckled sussex whilst looking online, to find two more birds to complete my little backyard group. I love my RIR and my Light Sussex both are friendly and good natured - and i have always had a love of the honey coloured birds like my shavers were - so i thought the buff would be ideal. The speckled looked like my RIR but with beautiful white cherry blossom markings.

I have found a lady in Hawkes Bay who has Wyandottes and i may consider them if my search begins to prove fruitless for the sussex. Do you have any experience with the Wyandotte breed? I have considered Opringtons particularly again the beautiful buff coloured ones.

Sadly due to lack of time and having two cats i have never considered the egg option - my cats are used to hens now and i need large girls who will not feel scared around them. My cats are great with the birds - they seem fascinated with them particularly watching them have a dust bath - and they are great at feeding time for keeping the sparrows away!

Anyway i am starting to ramble - i do hope that i am able to get the sussex birds and will indeed take your advice and keep an eye open around Christmas time.

Kind regards
Jasper
jasper39
Chick
Chick

Postby wolga » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:30 pm

There is a breeder who’s selling fertile eggs. That might be a good idea to get the birds you want a bit quicker.
https://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farm ... 896760.htm
wolga

Postby nhb » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:40 pm

I have buff Sussex eggs hatching out today
Proud owner and breeder, of North Holland blues and Sicilian buttercups
nhb
Quail
Quail

Return to Trade and Exchange