Ducklings with lice

Do you keep ducks, quails, turkeys, pheasants, guinea fowl or others?
Discuss here!

Ducklings with lice

Postby KiwiCoda » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:10 pm

I have two approx 8 day old ducklings which are covered in what I assume are lice. They were found in the wild (someone hit mum with a car), and are currently housed in a cage with a heat plate. After being in water, I can see the lice crawling around their head and neck. I have also found one on my chest after holding them. The bugs seem to be a beige/grey colour, however I was sure I saw some that had a red hue. If these are lice, what is the best treatment for such young birds? Also, can lice be an issue in our home after having the birds caged inside? Thanks in advance. ;)
KiwiCoda
Chick
Chick

Re: Ducklings with lice

Postby nhb » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:26 pm

Hello, and welcome to the forum. I have read somewhere and I believe it was on poultry central. That you can use the same stuff you put on your dog or cat, I have never done this, as I don't have a dog or cat and I also don't have ducks at the moment. I know it has been done successfully . As to how much you would apply I would say the smallest amount possible, you may need to do a follow up in 10 - 14 days.
Proud owner and breeder, of North Holland blues and Sicilian buttercups
nhb
Quail
Quail

Re: Ducklings with lice

Postby Marina » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:40 pm

Hi Kiwicoda,

dog flea powder from the supermarket or The Warehouse works well against lice. You might have to make little bags for the ducklings (maybe from a sock) so that only their head peeks out and give them a very good dusting. Leave them in the sock in the shade for 30 minutes.

The infestation you describe sounds serious and you may have to do this every 8 to 10 days until no more lice can be found.

I've never heard of lice on ducklings - usually they are very healthy and their habit of going into the water is not inviting for lice.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Return to Other Poultry