Board breasted white turkeys

Do you keep ducks, quails, turkeys, pheasants, guinea fowl or others?
Discuss here!

Board breasted white turkeys

Postby Glenshee » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:31 pm

Hi everyone,
Im trying to get hold of some board breasted white turkeys I don’t mind if they are day old or a couple of months, I have contacted Croziers but they no longer sell live birds. Has anyone managed to get hold of commercial breed turkeys or know of someone who has come crossbreeds?
Thanks
Glenshee
Chick
Chick

Re: Board breasted white turkeys

Postby Marina » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:06 am

That's a pity that Croziers no longer sell turkey poults. They were the only commercial producer selling them.

There is the directory at www.rarebreeds.co.nz but no breeder of white turkeys is listed there. The ones you are after are difficult to breed for backyarders as they need to be artificially inseminated. The males are very heavy and need to be kept away from the food to be able to walk at all.

There are people around who have crossed the large white turkey with the bronze and this gives you a fast growing bird without the problems of the large white.

Where abouts are you? You may have to wait for another month or so and see what you can find on TradeMe.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Glenshee » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:57 am

We are in North Otago, Yep we have the Bronze but wanted to try and cross them to get a bit more meat on them sooner. Trade me may be the way to go I think.
Glenshee
Chick
Chick

Postby Blackshire » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:30 pm

That’s disappointing. I got two hens from them last year and used a bronze tom. Good cross breed that finished well.

Culled late last season and kept 8 poults. Unfortunately I only got a single tom, and he happened to be a buff/bronze with any BB White in him. 3 white hens that are 50/50 but that means I’m running a max 25% BB white.
Blackshire
Chick
Chick

Return to Other Poultry