what do we need if we wantto sell eggs?

Do you keep ducks, quails, turkeys, pheasants, guinea fowl or others?
Discuss here!

what do we need if we wantto sell eggs?

Postby MrKK » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:41 pm

is anyone can tell what do we need to do if we want to sell our eggs without breaking any laws?
and please tell how. thank you very much.
MrKK
Chick
Chick

Re: what do we need if we wantto sell eggs?

Postby wolga » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:30 pm

That's pretty easy and there's not much to worry about. It is established that if you have 99 or less laying hens (not total poultry) you are exempt from an RMP ( Risk Management Programme ), as long as you are selling the eggs direct to the consumer yourself. You are not allowed to sell to a retailer or an intermediary that retails them, even if you only have 20 birds.
You cannot sell eggs through a retail outlet unless you have an RMP, regardless of how many layers you have.
Another fact is that if you use second hand egg cartons to sell small quantities of eggs direct to consumers, you are required remove the labels.
This applies to both the production type (cage/barn/free range) egg size, branding and origin. Not many people actually do this, me included.
But unfortunately there really are people out there checking on these rules, and following up on complaints!
wolga

Postby MrKK » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:13 pm

wolga wrote:That's pretty easy and there's not much to worry about. It is established that if you have 99 or less laying hens (not total poultry) you are exempt from an RMP ( Risk Management Programme ), as long as you are selling the eggs direct to the consumer yourself. You are not allowed to sell to a retailer or an intermediary that retails them, even if you only have 20 birds.
You cannot sell eggs through a retail outlet unless you have an RMP, regardless of how many layers you have.
Another fact is that if you use second hand egg cartons to sell small quantities of eggs direct to consumers, you are required remove the labels.
This applies to both the production type (cage/barn/free range) egg size, branding and origin. Not many people actually do this, me included.
But unfortunately there really are people out there checking on these rules, and following up on complaints!

About the RMP, just wondering how to apply?would that hard to approve? is that any form to fill up or some other things that i need to do b4 the apply? cos im planning to have 100+. thank you very much again
MrKK
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:52 pm

If you have more than 100 laying hens you are classed as a commercial egg producer. A Resource Management Plan (RMP) is more than just filling out a form. It's also quite expensive as it involves visits from inspectors on a regular basis. There are consultants who specialize in designing RMPs for all kinds of businesses as most business owners are not able to do it themselves. In short - you have to comply with the same requirements as a farm that has 120 000 laying hens. I hope someone knows where you have to go to lodge an application but if there is no further reply I'd ask at Asurequality or MPI (Ministry for Primary Industries).
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby MrKK » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:18 pm

Marina wrote:If you have more than 100 laying hens you are classed as a commercial egg producer. A Resource Management Plan (RMP) is more than just filling out a form. It's also quite expensive as it involves visits from inspectors on a regular basis. There are consultants who specialize in designing RMPs for all kinds of businesses as most business owners are not able to do it themselves. In short - you have to comply with the same requirements as a farm that has 120 000 laying hens. I hope someone knows where you have to go to lodge an application but if there is no further reply I'd ask at Asurequality or MPI (Ministry for Primary Industries).

thank you very much for all you reply thats very helpful to me and I am going to wait for a few applys with this post. thank you very much again
MrKK
Chick
Chick

Postby Foehn » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:21 pm

You can sell from a sign at the roadside and through trademe, as long as you don't have more than 99 hens and as others have said re egg cartons. They can be bought without labels but do tend to be quite expensive considering they are pressed out of recycled paper, so whatever price you set, needs to factor in the cost of purchasing cartons, otherwise remove labels from second hand cartons. (Easiest to paint out the label with a cheap paint as some labels are hard to remove without wrecking the carton. You can then put your own label on them. Word of mouth is good and I sell the bulk of my surplus eggs this way
Foehn
Quail
Quail

Postby Marina » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:07 am

Here are the pamphlets and forms to be filled out. Lots of reading for a rainy day :o

http://www.foodsafety.govt.nz/industry/ ... uments.htm

I'd ring them to get an idea about the cost of the inspections which will be thousands of Dollars per year. That's the reason why egg farms either have less than 100 birds or more than 50 000 as it costs the same for the inspections, tests, etc, no matter what size your operation is.

Operations of less than 10000 birds are not viable unless you produce free range - or are happy to work for free.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby wolga » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:13 am

wolga

Postby wolga » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:23 am

LOL ! You beat me to it Marina ! Didn't see your post when I looked it up. :roll:
wolga

Postby wolga » Mon May 01, 2017 8:50 am

This is about the cost of keeping a flock. Very interesting read.
http://www.hobbyfarms.com/the-economics-of-eggs/
wolga

Return to Other Poultry