The ducks are laying!! (anywhere and everywhere)

Do you keep ducks, quails, turkeys, pheasants, guinea fowl or others?
Discuss here!

The ducks are laying!! (anywhere and everywhere)

Postby sewren » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:39 pm

Wooohoo - I'm so excited, our silver appleyards have started laying! :D :D :D Well, at least one of them has, because there has been an egg in the middle of the paddock for the last few days.

Now I just need to work out how I can get them to lay in one place. Or at least a dry place. I've been googling ideas for a simple duck nest and will make a few options to scatter round the paddock in the hope that they choose them over muddy puddles, long grass or bare ground. Bet they don't, though. :roll:

Which brings me to a question - does anyone wash their duck eggs? I assume it is a similar case as with the chooks that washing removes the bloom. Although I did give one very muddy egg a rinse since it was already half submerged in a puddle so I didn't think a squirt under the hose would do much harm! The egg was still stained from the dirt/poo after a rinse, though. Fine for me to eat, but I'd like to sell a few eggs when more are laying and they're not all that attractive.

But yey duck eggs! :) :) :D
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Re: The ducks are laying!! (anywhere and everywhere)

Postby sewren » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:46 pm

Oh, and unrelated, but the boy ducks seem to be mistaking my light sussex for a lady duck and are sometimes harassing her quite a bit - she really has to stay out of their way. Coincidentally, she raised most of the duckings, so I was wondering if they think she's fair game because they imprinted on her. They seem to leave the other chooks alone for the most part. Anyone experienced something similar with chooks and ducks living together...?
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Re: The ducks are laying!! (anywhere and everywhere)

Postby Marina » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:13 am

No drake harassing chooks here but drake mating with shoe instead. We raised a duckling and it was imprinted on our daughter. He loved shoes until he decided to fly away (Mallard).

Re duck eggs: they are much more difficult to keep clean than chook eggs as ducks love wet places and carry the moisture on their feet.

Ducks can sometimes be trained to lay in the same nest as the chickens. Usually ducks lay before 9am so if you could lock them up in their house until 9am they'll have to make other arrangements than just loosing their egg wherever they are.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Return to Other Poultry