HELP!!! Quails got bitten by animals and dead.

Do you keep ducks, quails, turkeys, pheasants, guinea fowl or others?
Discuss here!

HELP!!! Quails got bitten by animals and dead.

Postby MrKK » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:31 am

this is what happened in the past two days.

two days ago, I found that there were two quails dead by bitten some other animals(don't know what it was). and I put a trapper out side of the room where the quails living.
after that, I found a possum in the trapper on that morning. but still two quails dead in the cage. seems animal want to drag the quails out from the cage, but quails were to big to drag out, but the neck still got bitten and bleeding to dead.
so I put another trapper again. but this time didn't catch any possum, this morning found out 3 quails dead and 1 got bitten on it neck, still alive but seems can't live any longer.

I really don't know what to do, is anyone can help me with this?

I have a mouse trapper, and i put a peanut on the trapper, but the trapper didn't even move a little bit.
and also have the rat poison, I don't see it got eaten by anything.
MrKK
Chick
Chick

Re: HELP!!! Quails got bitten by animals and dead.

Postby wolga » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:58 am

Sounds like a stoat to me. You need a different trap to catch them.
You also need smaller netting for the cage.
wolga

Postby Marina » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:19 am

The only traps I know that catch stoats and ferrets reliably are Fenn traps. You also need to build a tunnel for it. Are you able to lock up your quail more securely? You could put them into a box and lock them in a room in your house over night - depending on how many you have - until you have trapped the stoat.

Here is a link to a seller of Fenn Traps : http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farmi ... 574284.htm

You need the big MK6, the smaller versions may trap a foot or the tail of the stoat and you'll have to deal with a very angry biting machine. In the MK6 they're usually dead when you find them.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby MrKK » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:04 pm

Thank you for the trademe link you provided above, I've bought three of those today hopefully will get it ready ASAP and set up to trap some of it. I've check the room and found a little hole on the ground at the back of the quail cages. And now already seal with the concreat, hopefully will stop stoat coming in from now. And also will lay the whole floor with concreat tomorrow(now is wooden on the ground). will see how it goes tomorrow. thank you very much for all your helps.

Marina wrote:The only traps I know that catch stoats and ferrets reliably are Fenn traps. You also need to build a tunnel for it. Are you able to lock up your quail more securely? You could put them into a box and lock them in a room in your house over night - depending on how many you have - until you have trapped the stoat.

Here is a link to a seller of Fenn Traps : http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farmi ... 574284.htm

You need the big MK6, the smaller versions may trap a foot or the tail of the stoat and you'll have to deal with a very angry biting machine. In the MK6 they're usually dead when you find them.
MrKK
Chick
Chick

Postby MrKK » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:07 pm

Thank you for remainded me that there are stoats, I though it might only be the possum in my area cos I've never see stoat during day time here.

wolga wrote:Sounds like a stoat to me. You need a different trap to catch them.
You also need smaller netting for the cage.
MrKK
Chick
Chick

Postby wolga » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:24 am

How did it go ? Any success with the traps ? Hopefully
you didn't lose any more birds.
wolga

Postby MrKK » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:05 pm

I cleared the room and found a little hole behind the cages. now I've covered the whole floor with concreted and didnt lost any quail. thank you for all your help. I've boughtthree traps online but didnt set up yet, seems I need a box with tunnel for the trap.so i will build a box for the trap later on.

wolga wrote:So did it go ? Any success with the traps ? Hopefully
you didn't lose any more birds.
MrKK
Chick
Chick

Return to Other Poultry