what do we feed the quails for them to lay eggs more?

Do you keep ducks, quails, turkeys, pheasants, guinea fowl or others?
Discuss here!

what do we feed the quails for them to lay eggs more?

Postby MrKK » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:55 pm

i have some quails, some of them lay everydays but some of them do not lay sometimes.
i wonder if want them to lay more they will need more protein, i got crumble food for them which i bought from mainfeed, and also another kind of food "NRM Meatbird Crumbles" from farm source. first one only contain 19% of protein, and the second one contain 20%, my friend told me that they will need about 23% of protein. just wondering what kind of food do you feed them? and how many % of the protein? thank you very much!
MrKK
Chick
Chick

Re: what do we feed the quails for them to lay eggs more?

Postby Marina » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:09 pm

Hi MrKK and welcome to PC.

Where in NZ are you? FeedMe Milling is in Otaki and they make a crumble without coccidiostat that has well over 20% protein.

You could also get a bit of meat and bone meal and mix it with their regular feed. A small bag from the garden centre should last a while for quail - unless you have dozens. Just make sure it has nothing else added - like sulphur for instance.

Quail need 16 hours of daylight to lay so artificial lighting may be what they need.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby MrKK » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:57 pm

Im in Auckland North Shore, do you think FeedMe Milling will do the delivery to auckland for a little amount of the food? And do they have finish product for selling or only customize?
BTW, what kind of material should be contain in the quails food and how many % of those?
thank you very much!

Marina wrote:Hi MrKK and welcome to PC.

Where in NZ are you? FeedMe Milling is in Otaki and they make a crumble without coccidiostat that has well over 20% protein.

You could also get a bit of meat and bone meal and mix it with their regular feed. A small bag from the garden centre should last a while for quail - unless you have dozens. Just make sure it has nothing else added - like sulphur for instance.

Quail need 16 hours of daylight to lay so artificial lighting may be what they need.
MrKK
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:30 pm

I'd give them a ring and ask whether there is a stockist in Auckland. Phone (06) 367 3333

As far as I know he does send single bags around the country. It's not cheap but one bag of crumbles without coccidiostat should last a long time. Don't worry about it going off. If you keep it dark and dry it should keep for months especially now during winter and you could mix it with a feed that's localy available.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby MrKK » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:40 am

Thank you very much for all your help, I will give it a try and let you know if I still stuck :) thanks again!

Marina wrote:I'd give them a ring and ask whether there is a stockist in Auckland. Phone (06) 367 3333

As far as I know he does send single bags around the country. It's not cheap but one bag of crumbles without coccidiostat should last a long time. Don't worry about it going off. If you keep it dark and dry it should keep for months especially now during winter and you could mix it with a feed that's localy available.
MrKK
Chick
Chick

Postby wolga » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:52 pm

There's also Fallons Stockfood Ltd in Dairy Flat.18 Kahikatea Flat Rd, Pine Valley 0794
They have a great range of feed. ;)
wolga

Postby MrKK » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:52 am

Thank you Wolga, I've just call them and they said they dont have the feeds for quails specific, but I think I will still go there and check out. thanks again.

wolga wrote:There's also Fallons Stockfood Ltd in Dairy Flat.18 Kahikatea Flat Rd, Pine Valley 0794
They have a great range of feed. ;)
MrKK
Chick
Chick

Return to Other Poultry