Aspergillosis in Ducks... Help!

Do you keep ducks, quails, turkeys, pheasants, guinea fowl or others?
Discuss here!

Aspergillosis in Ducks... Help!

Postby KluckyDucky » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:22 am

Recently, two of my 13 ducks died from aspergillosis. I am trying to prevent the others from getting sick. The vet did an autopsy of one of the ducks and gave me medicine called Itraconazole but I have to divide each capsule into 11 equal parts and mix them with cat food. Is this the best medication and am I using the best method to distribute it. If there is an easier treatment or a preventative, please tell me.
I have already checked that the food and bedding is not mouldy.
The vet also thought that my ducks might be getting bumble foot. What do you know about treating or preventing bumble foot. If you know anything about either of these ailments and their cures, please tell me ASAP.
KluckyDucky
Chick
Chick

Re: Aspergillosis in Ducks... Help!

Postby Marina » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:40 pm

Hi Clucky Ducky and welcome to PC!

I'm not familiar with aspergillosis but generally I would think that it will be best to put your ducklings outside onto green grass during the day so they get fresh air. It's summer now and ducklings are very hardy in regard to temperature variations, as long as it's not wintery cold and windy. During this time of year, ducklings should be able to live outside full time from about 3 weeks old.

Ducklings are very messy and need to be put onto fresh grass every day. That also helps to prevent bumble foot. The main cause of bumble foot is being on a hard surface, especially if it's covered in excrement, and bacteria getting under those tiny scales they have on the bottom of their feet. Having a swim - and clean - can also help. We got one of those plastic containers you can slide under a bed as a swimming pool for our duckling which was sufficient. Fill with fresh water at least once per day, more often if the water is dirty.

Never feed mouldy food to ducklings. It is possible that the food you gave them had a mouldy component without you even realising. As soon as pellets and other prepared poultry feed get moist, mould starts to grow. They don't always use the freshest ingredients and the last grain harvest was almost a year ago.

As to subdividing the tablet - I'm sure your vet gave you the best available treatment option. Ducklings usually are very healthy creatures but this season I've heard of a few mishaps which could be connected to something - maybe the weather or a large batch of non-optimal feed.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby KluckyDucky » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:34 pm

Thanks for the help Marina, I will take those suggestions on board.

Another thing that occurred to me was that I have large pile of lawn clippings from the lawn mower (amongst other leaf litter etc.) That may be the cause of the disease as it is either very mouldy or is prone to becoming mouldy. This is probably the best thing I can do now as the ducks have been rooting around their recently. I think that I will just put a large tarpaulin over the whole thing. I am also growing wild yeast as I have been told that this is a good thing to do to boost their immune systems. Is this information correct?

thanks
KluckyDucky
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:44 pm

I agree - lawn clippings are a very likely source for fungal spores and if you can make them unaccessible that would certainly help.

I've never heard of growing wild yeast? Do you mean you ferment grains for instance? If that's what you are doing then yes, it could well be beneficial. Access to greens and a mixture of vitamins and minerals may help but if you can remove the possible source they should be fine.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby KluckyDucky » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:05 am

I read on the internet somewhere that wild yeast is good for boosting immune systems.

To quote google,

' The largest group of probiotic bacteria in the intestine is lactic acid bacteria, of which Lactobacillus acidophilus, found in yogurt with live cultures, is the best known. Yeast is also a probiotic substance. Probiotics are also available as dietary supplements.'

This means that they will have a lot less chance of getting sick. If they show any signs of illness, then I will immediately stop giving the yeast to them.
KluckyDucky
Chick
Chick

Postby KluckyDucky » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:38 am

Last night as I was gathering the ducks and putting them in their house for the night I found that 2 of my eldest ducks were ill. One of them had a lame leg, and the other was just plain sick. The first one with the lame leg (Mima Duck) had, earlier that day, been chased and knocked down by my tiny 6kg dog Molly (she was disciplined by time out in the empty cage I use for ducklings). Fortunately she was ok and got up strait away. later that night I found she developed a lame leg, but this cold be completely coincidental. The real worry now is the other duck, (Buster Duck) who has developed some of the same symptoms that the other ducks had before they died. I have tried everything. This morning I isolated the 2 ducks from the rest of the flock and put them in their own little cage with a paddling pool, food and water. I also got 11 worms and mashed them up, then put the medicine in them and divided it into even parts for the ducks. Unfortunately it has not been looking good as Buster Duck is refusing to eat or drink. I have put all of the medication in his food as I am hoping that he will eat even a tiny mouthful. Hopefully everything works out O.K.
KluckyDucky
Chick
Chick

Postby KluckyDucky » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:09 am

I tried to applicate the medicine orally and it was successful. Now I just hope that the meds work!
KluckyDucky
Chick
Chick

Postby wolga » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:56 am

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery! Keep us posted on progress !
wolga

Postby KluckyDucky » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:17 am

This morning Buster duck's breathing was laboured and heavy. Just five minutes ago I decided that the most humane thing to do was to put her down. I called the vet and he put her down.

R.I.P. Buster duck. :cry:

Luckily the other duck, that was lame, (Mima duck) has recovered and is back with the flock. :D
KluckyDucky
Chick
Chick

Postby KluckyDucky » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:36 am

I dug a hole for Buster Duck's grave. I put her in and then went off to do something else, and while I was away, my dog, Tas, filled in the grave with his nose. I planted a tangelo tree on Buster Duck's grave.

Another one of my ducks is sick. :cry: . I have treated them all but it took an hour of my morning.

I have also put five duck eggs under my bantam hen, who is clucky, so I can replenish the amount of birds I have.
KluckyDucky
Chick
Chick

Postby wolga » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:31 am

So sorry to hear that ! I hope you get on top of this !
wolga

Return to Other Poultry