New Ducklings - Question On Feeding

Do you keep ducks, quails, turkeys, pheasants, guinea fowl or others?
Discuss here!

New Ducklings - Question On Feeding

Postby Dean » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:01 pm

This is the first time we have had our own hatched ducklings. I have bought day olds before and had them with broody hens and in little runs, easy to feed. But these ones that have hatched here are in with the whole flock and I am worried about getting chick starter to them when I can't get near them. The other ducks get fed at the waters edge, in the water so the sparrows can't get it and this works very well. Will mum see to them, take them in for the residual feed or what. Chick starter doesn't really float that well, so no point on throwing it on the pond. Any ideas anyone?

Silver Spangled Hanburgs, Araucanas, Shavers, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Barnevelders, Bard Yard Specials, Ducks, Turkeys and a Mallard.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Re: New Ducklings - Question On Feeding

Postby Marina » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:55 am

They seem to have quality free range and I would be confident that their mother will raise them just fine on adult food and whatever else they find.

If you want to give them a boost with chick starter you could try feeding the ducklings in a space where the adults can't get - like under a low pallet, propped up on a few bricks, covered with some plastic so that the adults can't go on top and reach down with their long necks. Or have a small enclosure with a door just big enough for the ducklings to enter.

Regarding the sparrows: if you feed them just a small quantity when they are hungry and you stay in the vicinity that could work.

Mash mixed with a bit of milk to make a crumbly consistency can also be fed to the ducklings and the adults and this does not have the coccidiostat added which can be a problem if you want to eat the eggs your ducks lay.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Kracka » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:28 pm

I haven't had much luck with ducklings and lots of adults - the adults gobble everything up
so getting somewhere the ducklings can get to but the adults can't might be the way to go
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby Dean » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:15 pm

Thanks guys, I have done the pallet thing with chicks before, never thought about it with the ducks.
Silver Spangled Hanburgs, Araucanas, Shavers, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Barnevelders, Bard Yard Specials, Ducks, Turkeys and a Mallard.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Return to Other Poultry