Tips for angel wing...?

Do you keep ducks, quails, turkeys, pheasants, guinea fowl or others?
Discuss here!

Tips for angel wing...?

Postby sewren » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:11 pm

One of my lovely ducklings has angel wing and I have been failing impressively at wrapping it up - I've tried a few times but the wee darling manages to get out of my efforts every time, probably in less time than it took me to wrap. I've tried straight wrapping, figure of eights, an outer layer of duct tape..... Any tips?

At the moment I have got to the point where I am hoping this one is a boy so the plan can be to leave it because he will end up on the dinner table table... :roll:
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Re: Tips for angel wing...?

Postby Marina » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:51 am

As far as I'm aware it's incurable - it's a deformity. Fingers crossed for a male but females taste good, too. It doesn't affect the taste at all .
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby sewren » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:49 am

Marina wrote:As far as I'm aware it's incurable - it's a deformity.

There's heaps of stuff online from people who have wrapped the wing into the right position and they have come right.

It's something I would persevere with for with a girl if I only have a few of them, but not so much with a boy or if it turns out I have plenty of girls.... Might need to wait until I have another pair of hands, though, if I am going to make another attempt...
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby seatil » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:01 am

With the runners I had, I would fold the bottom joint (hand and lower arm in human terms) correctly, then used vet wrap to wrap around just that part, pretty tight, but not so tight as to lose circulation. Then next I'd fold the elbow joint correctly, and vet wrap the upper arm to the previously wrapped bit. At this point I normally just leave it as they seem to balance better when they've still got movement in the shoulder joint, but you could then bandage the whole thing to the body. It can take a couple of goes to get things to stay on.

The bottom joint (wrist equivalent) is the important one in my experience -- that's the one that's funky. Take the time to get that aligned correctly. The elbow joint being bandaged is to make sure they can't get out of the first bandage. :)

I don't have any ducklings to demonstrate on at present, otherwise I'd take some photos.
One of almost everything, a veritable rainbow of chickens. And Project Motzle.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby seatil » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:05 am

With added drawing-fu.

One of almost everything, a veritable rainbow of chickens. And Project Motzle.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby sewren » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:16 pm

Awesome pictorial - thanks! :)

And yes, I totally agree about the balance thing - when I had it wrapped round the whole body I was feeling quite bad because he couldn't stand upright and was kind of ploughing his face along the floor (so it was mixed feelings when I would check and find he had lost the bandage, because at least he could get around better). I'll give him another go with this method.
sewren

Postby Kracka » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:36 am

When I wrapped a duck, I went round the body as well, kind of figure 8 around the other wing - it generally fell off within a day or two (was using that cohesive self sticking horse bandage) - but you're meant to keep taking it off to check if its worked

From what I've read, angel wing can be a bit of environmental/diet AND a bit of a genetic disposition - so if you fix this duck, its best not to breed from it
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby sewren » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:00 pm

Kracka wrote:When I wrapped a duck, I went round the body as well, kind of figure 8 around the other wing - it generally fell off within a day or two (was using that cohesive self sticking horse bandage) - but you're meant to keep taking it off to check if its worked

From what I've read, angel wing can be a bit of environmental/diet AND a bit of a genetic disposition - so if you fix this duck, its best not to breed from it

Hmmmm, maybe we should eat it, boy or girl, then....

I think only one out of the 10 has it, so hopefully if we take this one out of the group we won't have any issues in the future, but from the bits I have read it seems that the cause isn't really very well understood, so maybe not.
sewren

Postby Kracka » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:22 am

with angel wing - generally I get rid of any out of the breeding group - it seems to improve your odds

the only other observation I've made, any ducklings raised by their mother, especially free ranging, (i.e. they gallop around the place all the time, don't grow as fast as the ducklings kept in a pen & you lose a percentage of them because, well, they get lost here there & everywhere) - never get angel wing
so is it the higher level of activity, or the fact they grow slower (because they're burning off their feed)
the books I've read talk about feeding too high a level of protein can contribute to it - which lends itself to the 'grow too fast with too good a feed' = more likely to get angel wing

so when I remove the angel wing youngster from the breeding group, am I removing the ones that just grow too fast.... (which could be a downside, if you're breeding ducks for eating?)
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Return to Other Poultry