Magpie Ducks

Do you keep ducks, quails, turkeys, pheasants, guinea fowl or others?
Discuss here!

Magpie Ducks

Postby Dean » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:53 pm

Can anyone tell me, do we have Magpie ducks in NZ? I've been told what I have will be X breeds as they are not in NZ. :? Puzzled.
Silver Spangled Hanburgs, Araucanas, Shavers, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Barnevelders, Bard Yard Specials, Ducks, Turkeys and a Mallard.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Re: Magpie Ducks

Postby sewren » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:27 pm

They're on the Rare Breeds site, although with not much information, but there are a few breeders listed in the directory so I would say yes....

http://www.rarebreeds.co.nz/ducks.html#magpie
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby Marina » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:01 am

Yes, they are in NZ. There were some for sale at last year's Rare Breeds Auction at Willowbank.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Kracka » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:45 pm

Yes there are Magpie's - but with any breed, there's a reasonable chance that something else has been added in the mix
That comment may stem from the fact we didn't import Magpie's at any stage - so the Magpie's here have been developed
If you get hold of any really old information on poultry, you can see that back in time, it was possible just to order what poultry you needed and they'd get shipped over... not so now - so any breed you want in NZ that's not here has to be 'redone/developed' - basically do your research on how they originally developed a particular breed and then recreate it
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby Dean » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:46 pm

sewren wrote:They're on the Rare Breeds site, although with not much information, but there are a few breeders listed in the directory so I would say yes....

http://www.rarebreeds.co.nz/ducks.html#magpie

Yes. Thanks I contacted one of them and sent her a picture of my birds and she said they were 'Magpie enough' for her.
Silver Spangled Hanburgs, Araucanas, Shavers, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Barnevelders, Bard Yard Specials, Ducks, Turkeys and a Mallard.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby Dean » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:47 pm

Marina wrote:Yes, they are in NZ. There were some for sale at last year's Rare Breeds Auction at Willowbank.

I bought mine off a lady who bought hers off a breeder who shows his birds. She has not crossed them, so we feel confident they are as magpie as they can be, so to speak. :D
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Return to Other Poultry