Partridge breeding

Do you keep ducks, quails, turkeys, pheasants, guinea fowl or others?
Discuss here!

Partridge breeding

Postby tishie11 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:21 pm

I am trying to encourage my 6 red-legged partridges to breed! It's now Spring and I haven't seen any signs of mating behaviour yet. I have created hiding places for them under lots of vegetation which they are supposed to like but no luck yet.

Has anyone had experience with breeding partridges on here?
tishie11
Turkey
Turkey

Re: Partridge breeding

Postby wolga » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:32 pm

Anything happening with your birds ! Mating or any eggs ?
There's a face book pace that could help !
https://www.facebook.com/groups/356163494539989/
wolga

Postby tishie11 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:16 pm

Thanks for that wolga! No, nothing happening yet. Maybe this very wet weather is telling them not to nest yet as the area I have them in is a sea of mud at the moment. Still crossing fingers .........
tishie11
Turkey
Turkey

Postby tishie11 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:00 pm

I have found a couple of eggs lately - yay! But looks like the rats might have got there first as there were a couple of empty shells as well. I have seen rats going in there to eat the food so I'm assuming they spotted the eggs and had a feast.
Darn rats - as soon as I plug a hole another one appears! Even after putting a blue poison block into a hole they still get in.
So I have put the remaining eggs into a raised nest attached to the wall - hope the rats don't see the eggs and the partridges carry on laying. Strangely enough I haven't seen any mating activity at all - one female has a very caked muddy tummy area so I'm wondering whether she is the favourite one for the males!
tishie11
Turkey
Turkey

Postby eae » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:47 pm

Best of luck keeping those rats at bay... I hope the elevated nest does the trick. Do you have any recent photos?
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby nhb » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:33 am

You will need more than luck with a rat's nose and climbing ability
nhb
Quail
Quail

Postby tishie11 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:04 pm

eae here's a photo I took today of 3 of the partridges. One is having a dirt bath - they are loving the soil being dryer - they just love their dirt baths!

tishie11
Turkey
Turkey

Postby eae » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:37 pm

They're gorgeous birds, Tishie. Do you think you'll continue to hang on to them and perhaps try and add to the flock?
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby tishie11 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:09 am

Don't know eae. I always feel they need more space so I need more cages. I move the cages around as much as I can but they eat grass so fast the ground is bare very quickly. Would like to keep them and breed with them but still waiting on that!
tishie11
Turkey
Turkey

Postby sewren » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:00 pm

They are so pretty!! You're getting me tempted to give them a go, and I'm only just about moving on to ducks - bring on all the birds! ;)

I's be putting out a few rat traps if I were you round the pen - sounds like they need a little more dissuasion....
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby tishie11 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:38 pm

We've tried traps and the rats seem to get wise to them pretty quickly - the blocks work better.
And I've found another egg in the elevated nest so hopefully the rats will concentrate on the ones laid on the ground only - crossing fingers!

Yes they are pretty birds and the range of noises they make is fascinating!
tishie11
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Foehn » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:57 pm

I posted a comment to this thread last night but the site came up with a server problem and my reply went off into cyberspace.

Anyway, basically what I wrote was that those partridges are very pretty, and that a couple of days ago we had male California quail in a tree on our back yard. He was chuck chucking and seemed unafraid of us. It is the first one I have seen here in the four years since we moved in. We do have a lovely wild male ring neck pheasant that has been here for about 15 years.
Used to be good flocks of quail on our farm when I was younger,
Foehn
Quail
Quail

Postby tishie11 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:47 pm

There are now 14 eggs in the nest! I suspect 2 of the females (maybe 3?) are laying as the number goes up more than 1 a day. Very pleased. Obviously they don't think it's enough for a clutch as none are sitting yet.

It may not be rats getting eggs laid on the ground - my partner has seen a stoat on one occasion so that could be a problem. But I have been putting lots of rat bait around so that may be helping. Hopefully one or more of the partridges may start sitting soon ............

tishie11
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Kracka » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:29 pm

exciting stuff!
stoats aren't good - I tried buying one of those bright yellow plastic traps (looks a bit like a possum trap with a tunnel on the front) to try & catch them (had a whole lot of birds killed one night) - caught precisely nothing with it, but Marina made a very good point that they're probably smart enough to not like going near a plastic trap - you're better off getting the 'snap shut mechanism' and sitting it inside old boards (to make the tunnel to walk them over the trap) and bait it with an egg
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Return to Other Poultry