Anyone raised partridges before?

Do you keep ducks, quails, turkeys, pheasants, guinea fowl or others?
Discuss here!

Anyone raised partridges before?

Postby tishie11 » Tue May 24, 2016 4:30 pm

I have 6 red legged partridges that I hatched myself. They're now fully grown and I am figuring out their sexes. Google tells me to check the spurs on the legs and the ones with two spurs and generally bigger than the others should be males. On this basis, 4 out of 6 could be males - help!

I also notice that only a couple of them have thicker heads and strange indentations on the back of the heads where the crests rise up and I am wondering whether this is relevant to sex. If so I am thinking only 2 may be male - a much better ratio!

Has anyone on the forum raised partridges before and successfully sexed them? I don't want a lot of fighting going on in Spring and a minority of females getting too much attention. If there are too many males I shall have to think what to do about it .............

tishie11
Turkey
Turkey

Re: Anyone raised partridges before?

Postby AlisonS » Wed May 25, 2016 11:09 am

Too many male partridges for you could be a yummy dinner for someone else?!
AlisonS
Chicken
Chicken

Postby sewren » Wed May 25, 2016 11:43 am

I have no idea about sexing, sorry, but just wanted to say how pretty they are!! Very cool. Are they noisy?
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby tishie11 » Wed May 25, 2016 12:33 pm

Don't like to think about that AlisonS! Though I know they are eaten overseas as game birds. Selling them is preferable for me!
They make quite a lot of different noises sewren - quite fascinating. When I feed them they all make a sort of contented chattering noise. Definitely not as noisy as my roosters!
tishie11
Turkey
Turkey

Postby nhb » Wed May 25, 2016 12:52 pm

selling them won't guarantee that they won't end up being somebodies dinner but what else can you do with them. as you said you can only have so many boys.
nhb
Quail
Quail

Return to Other Poultry