Peacock care

Do you keep ducks, quails, turkeys, pheasants, guinea fowl or others?
Discuss here!

Peacock care

Postby Scarlet » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:23 pm

It looks like we've got ourselves a peacock, since he clearly prefers our place to his official home. He's been here all summer with us trying to chase him away: once we managed to catch him and return him to the neighbour, but he promptly came back again.

So now that we've got him (like it or not), we're going to have to take responsibility for his care. Primarily, I'm wondering if he'll need shelter for winter. We get our fair share of snow, ice and freezing gales, and I'm not sure if peacocks can cope with that without assistance. Does anyone have any advice?
2 BPR crosses (Trouble and Brownie), 1 BLW (Lily), 1 Partridge Wyandotte (Rosie), 1 Black Orpington (Nigella), 3 Barnevelders (Alison, Annabel and Delia), and one Barnevelder cockerel (Gordon).
Scarlet
Pheasant
Pheasant

Re: Peacock care

Postby Marina » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:24 pm

We've never had peafowl ourselves so can only tell you what I've seen at other people's places. I've seen them roost outside all year round, others go into the henhouse at night when the hens are put to bed. They seem to eat the same food as chooks do.

One of my sisters had a peacock and she had to rehome him due to him invading neighbouring properties. His new home was over 100km away - and a couple of weeks or so later he was back. They're very determined about where they want to live :mrgreen:
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Kracka » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:32 am

I've only ever seen peacocks roosting up big trees, like microcarpa's - I would think they give a fair amount of protection (being fairly thick/dense/bushy trees), where does he roost at night now?
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby Scarlet » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:51 pm

Thanks, Marina and Kracka!

He likes roosting on the balcony outside our bedroom mostly. It's pretty exposed, I shudder to think of him up there in a winter wind. We also have a lot of manuka and wineberry around us, I think that's where he roosts the rest of the time. There's good shelter in the scrub, but no thick branches, which I understand a peacock needs so he can protect his big feet from the cold.

At first I thought the solution would be to build a bigger coop for the chooks, so the peacock could also go in there. But once his tail has regrown I don't think that would work very well... I'm picturing him turning around and sweeping all the hens off their feet! Maybe the best thing would be to build a roof with a roost bar under it.
2 BPR crosses (Trouble and Brownie), 1 BLW (Lily), 1 Partridge Wyandotte (Rosie), 1 Black Orpington (Nigella), 3 Barnevelders (Alison, Annabel and Delia), and one Barnevelder cockerel (Gordon).
Scarlet
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby Shanla » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:51 am

Hi there, I know it's a long shot but anyone know of any Peanfowl up for sale (Not too expensive!!)
I have a peacock and he's very lonely.
We are in Otago, but happy to use a transporter to get here
Shanla
Chick
Chick

Return to Other Poultry