Disaster with duck hatching

Do you keep ducks, quails, turkeys, pheasants, guinea fowl or others?
Discuss here!

Disaster with duck hatching

Postby teach » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:54 am

Well the Indian runner ducklings from my previous posts started hatching yesterday. I could see one under mum yesterday. I got up this morning to find 3 pukekos attacking her. Mum had one duckling. Only 2 eggs left. they were cold. I chucked them in the incubator at 6.30 and by 7:30 they were starting to chip away at the shells. If they pop out today, do you think I will be able to sneak them under mum or will I have to hand rear them?
teach
Quail
Quail

Re: Disaster with duck hatching

Postby seatil » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:31 am

I've had success grafting ducklings onto a duck (wish I could say the same about grafting ducklings onto Super Broody hen, but that's another story). I penned my duck mum up in a broody hen run, which made sure the ducklings could find her and didn't have to spend all day chasing her around a paddock.
One of almost everything, a veritable rainbow of chickens. And Project Motzle.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Kracka » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:45 pm

if they hatch out bouncy and full of life, I'd give it a go - but definitely fence them into a defined area

glad I don't have pukeko's here...
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby teach » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:12 pm

I am not sure how they will go. One is up and crashing around in the incubator. So he might be alright tomorrow. The other one may just drift away I think. I am not averse to handrearing. School holidays start tomorrow so time is not an issue.
teach
Quail
Quail

Postby teach » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:11 pm

All was not lost.
Here are the two eggs that were damaged by the pukekos. They were left to hatch on a soaking wet tea towel.
The one on the right had a lot of yolk to absorb even though it has moved around a lot. The one on the left was on its feet and moving around. The next day I placed it with its mum. Sadly the pukekos came back and took it.

The weaker one was left for another day. I put him with Mum. Unfortunately he got a bit cold so I took him back in overnight and gave it a feed of egg yolk and a drink. Photo shows him getting the water down.

He went out the next day. Again, mum had no trouble accepting him. This is three days later.

I have been amazed just how easily momma duck accepted new ducklings. I just placed newbies with the older sibling and she was calling to them immediately.
teach
Quail
Quail

Postby Marina » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:07 pm

That's almost a miracle that the little one survived. I hope it will continue to thrive - without Pukeko interaction.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby teach » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:08 am

I have put a dog kennel in the run with them. A place to hide in and easier to defend. I read a lot about how ducks are terrible mums, but my one tried her best and has been no trouble accepting ducklings.
teach
Quail
Quail

Postby Dean » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:53 pm

teach wrote:I have put a dog kennel in the run with them. A place to hide in and easier to defend. I read a lot about how ducks are terrible mums, but my one tried her best and has been no trouble accepting ducklings.

Interesting, thanks for sharing.
Silver Spangled Hanburgs, Araucanas, Shavers, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Barnevelders, Bard Yard Specials, Ducks, Turkeys and a Mallard.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Return to Other Poultry