I have 8 about 2 day old ducklings...

Do you keep ducks, quails, turkeys, pheasants, guinea fowl or others?
Discuss here!

I have 8 about 2 day old ducklings...

Postby GillyJ » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:43 pm

Brought to me last night. Very tiny and very cute. 3 are dark mallard colourings and 5 are light buff colours. All from the same parents.
Someone told me today that the light coloured ones are female, the dark are male and this only shows in the first week of their life. Is this truth?

They are all doing fine..... I now have 12 ducks in residence. 2 Shelducks that are just colouring up, Daisy my resident 4 year old shelduck who wants all of these ducks out, pronto :D

One of the lil mallard chicks has had most of its leg removed unfortunately.... is on antibiotics and I have to hold her to feed her otherwise
the other 7 just knock her away from food. Tis all on at present.
GillyJ
Pheasant
Pheasant

Re: I have 8 about 2 day old ducklings...

Postby Marina » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:48 pm

That sounds very busy, Gilly.

As to sexing the ducklings using the down colour: It may or may not be true. If the ducklings are the result of a mating of a duck and a drake of known genetic make-up then it is possible. Otherwise Mallard drakes sometimes fly in to mate with domestic ducks and the ducklings could have different fathers.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby buzzard » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:39 am

GillyJ wrote:Brought to me last night. Very tiny and very cute. 3 are dark mallard colourings and 5 are light buff colours. All from the same parents.
Someone told me today that the light coloured ones are female, the dark are male and this only shows in the first week of their life. Is this truth?

do you know what breed they are or breeds in their makeup? As Marina has said it could just indicate a wild male has come a callin or that they have rouen in their background
there are some breeds that can be sexed at hatch (with moderate-good accuracy) but the differences in those breeds are subtle, no where near as pronounced as you have descibed
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby GillyJ » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:03 pm

They were 8 of 15 mallard ducklings with a mallard mum - no dad in sight. They were all getting picked off by ruddy weka and this lot got stuck in a drain pipe and Mum did a runner. The people who found them tried to coerce mum back to them but it didn't work. I will put a dot of red nail polish on the 3 darker coloured ones and see if they end up male. I've never seen different colours in ducklings I have raised before but these ducklings were very tiny indeed.
GillyJ
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby Marina » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:47 pm

So it's quite possible that more than one drake was involved. Will be interesting to see what they are.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby lizziebee » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:47 am

Do you have some pics Gilly?

I will be great to see them grow and watch their feather colouring.
Maggie (Blue Australorp), Millie & Mandy (PBRs), Madelaine & Maisey (GLW), Missy (GLW x Shaver), Alice & Lily (Bantam Silver Pencilled Wyandottes) - 3xbtm Partridge Wyandottes & 2xFaverolles.
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby GillyJ » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:48 am

I do have pics Lizziebee but I can't fathom how to put them up here - but they are on my fb page -
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater
GillyJ
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby lizziebee » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:34 am

FB down right now - I'll be back later!

Thank you :D
Maggie (Blue Australorp), Millie & Mandy (PBRs), Madelaine & Maisey (GLW), Missy (GLW x Shaver), Alice & Lily (Bantam Silver Pencilled Wyandottes) - 3xbtm Partridge Wyandottes & 2xFaverolles.
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Return to Other Poultry