Help! Baby wild duck found!

Do you keep ducks, quails, turkeys, pheasants, guinea fowl or others?
Discuss here!

Re: Help! Baby wild duck found!

Postby sewren » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:34 pm

Ours brings in the odd bird, but no natives yet - PHEW! Probably because there isn't any where we live!! :roll: but if we move more rural I'll get cat-guilt :?

As far as the chickens - they are quite good enough at looking after themselves against her, but I've seen her eyeing up chicks so they get to stay protected until they are about 6 weeks old. I think mother hen would do a good job of keeping them safe, but don't want to test that theory when there is a cat flat on the ground with a wiggly bottom nearby!
Seventeen beautiful chooks in a rainbow of breeds and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby Dean » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:07 pm

Crackers is growing. Its with its chick mate so it doesn't get lonely.
Silver Spangled Hanburgs, Araucanas, Shavers, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Barnevelders, Bard Yard Specials, Ducks, Turkeys and a Mallard.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby GillyJ » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:49 am

:) :) :)
GillyJ
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby Marina » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:21 am

Very cute and the duckling is growing very well.

...how frequently do you have to exchange the newspaper?
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Kracka » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:12 am

they grow fast - it'll outgrow your chicken no problem!
although at least a Mallard isn't a big duck
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby henny » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:48 pm

we mix the crumble with water - it is a lot easier that way for ducklings - and put marbles in your water bowl otherwise they think the water is there for them to swim in ------ our wild ducks disappeared the day they learnt to fly -----
henny
Quail
Quail

Postby finkies1 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:10 pm

Hi - I once reared 14 baby grey ducks, my ex bought them home in his lunch bag as they had swum into his whitebait net (so he said) and no mum around, so anyway I lost a couple before I got hold of a bird/duck expert thru the SPCA in nelson and he told me to cook up some chook eggs, remove all the yolks (throw away the whites and use only the yolks)and mash them with a fork, mix with crumbled weetbix and a little milk till soggy, - he also told me if I reared them successfully they would be the first grey ducks reared in captivity that he had heard of in New Zealand (this was some 20 years ago) , anyway, long story short, I raised all the rest very successfully, they used to follow me around and once I took them to my kids Playcentre - what a hoot! I released them to the wild when they were flappers and they took to the river like they had known it forever, and the only time I thought I saw them again was that every year there were some reasonably tame grey ducks that used to live around my Dad's farm beside the same spot where I released them.
Wyandottes
Oxford OEG
Minorcas
Araucanas
Pekins
Rosecombs
Sebrights
RIR
Hamburgs
finkies1
Quail
Quail

Postby Dean » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:29 pm

Finkies1 you did very well then, and I wonder if they were yours you saw near your dads.

Crackers is doing very well, this photo is about 3 weeks old, I need to get a other. We pinched a chick from a broody to give him company and they have progressed from the hot cupboard to the lounge, to a cage in the chicken run with an old letterbox for a home, to 2 nights ago, into the chicken coop. Crackers is definitely very attached to Hammy the chicken (we think a Roo) but Hammy is beginning to realise he'd like to be part of the flock. So time will tell whether the apron strings can be relaxed. If Crackers can't find Hammy he/she quacks and quacks. Crackers had imprinted on me, but once Hammy appeared that shifted.
Silver Spangled Hanburgs, Araucanas, Shavers, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Barnevelders, Bard Yard Specials, Ducks, Turkeys and a Mallard.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Previous

Return to Other Poultry