Help! Baby wild duck found!

Do you keep ducks, quails, turkeys, pheasants, guinea fowl or others?
Discuss here!

Help! Baby wild duck found!

Postby Dean » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:03 pm

Husband found a baby duck wondering in the paddock. No parents or siblings in sight or sound. We have seen a pair recently flying around and in far paddocks. What to do, what to feed. I know they need water and I have crumbles, but as I don't know the age, where to from here?
Silver Spangled Hanburgs, Araucanas, Shavers, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Barnevelders, Bard Yard Specials, Ducks, Turkeys and a Mallard.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Re: Help! Baby wild duck found!

Postby Kracka » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:26 pm

crumbles are good
shallow water that's easy to climb out of - I'd remove it from the pen after dark - they'll play in the water 24/7 and get wet, so you need to watch to make sure they don't get water logged/soaked - as they get cold very quickly from there
you can float very finely chopped tender grass in the water & they should eat that (but maybe when they're a week old) - we float what we call 'chickweed' in the water - its bright green, looks like two tiny leaves & is a menace at covering a pond - not the pink floating weed though
buy some air freshners if you've got them inside :?

we raised one mallard that peep peeped its way across the paddock to my son & his grandmother working in the paddock - she made a really fun pet - she bonded onto people and followed us everywhere
snag was when she was grown up, she didn't like being in the orchard with the other ducks (or more specifically the drakes :shock: )
so she'd just pop (fly/jump) over the fence and wait by the back door to be let in - so in the end we took her to kindie where there was a large flock of well fed Mallards & she joined in with them
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby Dean » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:12 pm

Thanks so much Kracka, I have been back out and let it chirp its head off, but no reply. So will set up the shallow water affair with young bits of grass. :)
Silver Spangled Hanburgs, Araucanas, Shavers, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Barnevelders, Bard Yard Specials, Ducks, Turkeys and a Mallard.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby Kracka » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:48 pm

oh, you might need to sprinkle the crumbles over the top of the duckling - they tend to peck at things that move past (normally they peck them off each other, but you've only got one!)
just till they get the idea that crumbles are food (sometimes a dark piece of cloth on the floor makes it easier for them to see it)
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby Dean » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:01 pm

Thanks, great help.

That worked, I had it in my hand and the crumbs rolled down towards it and it ate them, well done you. Now to wait and find out if its a he or she.
Last edited by Dean on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby sude » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:17 am

Very cute! I've got six I'm supplement feeding. They are 7 weeks old now. The Mum started with nine but she kept crossing the road with them and some got hit. You wont be able to tell boy or girl till the boys moult and change their colouring. Sometimes I think I can see a greenish look on a head but I'm not sure even at 7 weeks.
sude
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby Kracka » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:40 am

you can vent sex from about 2 weeks old, but its an awkward process (interpret that as a 'pooey' endeavour) and not one that's easy to follow from written instruction - I had it shown to me & can now sex my Khaki Campbells that way

I was quite keen to move our little Mallard on - I keep my ducks for their egg laying (as well as lawn mowing & amusing antics) - a Mallard lays one clutch of eggs a year, so I wasn't keen on having her genetics accidentally added to the flock. And having her marching to the backdoor through my dogs isn't always a good idea either :shock:
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby lizziebee » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:53 pm

Aw - what a cutie pie!!!

Looking forward to more photos as he/she grows!

Lizzie
Maggie (Blue Australorp), Millie & Mandy (PBRs), Madelaine & Maisey (GLW), Missy (GLW x Shaver), Alice & Lily (Bantam Silver Pencilled Wyandottes) - 3xbtm Partridge Wyandottes & 2xFaverolles.
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Dean » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:07 pm

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu20 ... 2a7a7b.jpg

Sadly 'Honey' just thinks this is another annoying addition to her Life Style Block where she is the most important.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby Kracka » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:04 pm

:lol:
not sure I could do that with any of my cats! (even if they are upside down :lol: )

I was going to suggest a name of 'Toast' for the duckling, as in Toast & Honey.... but calling something Toast could be interpreted wrongly :roll: :?
bit like my friend with her dog called 'Target'.... lucky he wasn't a hunting dog...
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby sewren » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:17 pm

Wow your cat is good! There would be feathers flying if I did that in our house!!
Seventeen beautiful chooks in a rainbow of breeds and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby Dean » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:16 pm

Well the Burmese do think they are a dog, so maybe that's lucky for this duck!
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby bagheera » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:03 pm

We could not do that with our cats. Even with the chicken train cats we do not let the chick out to 5 week, we tried 4 week and had to recuse one chick getting chased by our cats. she only got bloody nose from a swap but I'd we was not around it was most likely a goner. That cat is in the bad book 2 time that Month. Chasing the chicks and killing a Tui. :(
bagheera
Quail
Quail

Postby Marina » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:09 pm

I've found many dead ducklings which had been eaten - and then vomited - by our cats :(

Still in one piece :shock:
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Dean » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:31 am

Marina wrote:I've found many dead ducklings which had been eaten - and then vomited - by our cats :(

Still in one piece :shock:

Oh dear, one piece but dead I presume? :|

This cat has caught the odd bird in her 7 years, but more a mouse hunter. The free range chickens take no nonsense from her, so she just avoids them. I'm sure she just thinks 'Oh Go Away Please' :arrow:
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Next

Return to Other Poultry