duck influx....

Do you keep ducks, quails, turkeys, pheasants, guinea fowl or others?
Discuss here!

duck influx....

Postby RussellBenington » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:30 pm

apparently the words gotten out and now theres quite a few pairs/groups of ducks hanging around my place....now usually i dont mind them...but there eating all the sheepsies grass (considering the flock was over 50 strong, they're eating enough of whats left :evil: :evil: ) and unfortunately, cant shoot them coz there either in amongst the sheep, or too close to the road ( cunning wee things they be) so was wondering if anyone has any methods of moving the ducks away, aside from chasing them on the motorbike and letting the dog try and catch them. (so far shes had limited success, shes more used to getting the dead ones out of the water than alive ones from the paddock)

only good things is that they've chased the seagulls away, or that might have been the winter????
RussellBenington
Emu
Emu

Re: duck influx....

Postby roobz316 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:38 am

A few loud bangs a few times a day to make them feel unsettled enough to fly off might work? Or even better the sound of a shot gun will make them move away, every duck knows that sound mean get the hell out!! Its the time of year they are pairing up for breeding season so soon they will start nesting. I think ducks like to come back to breed in the same place they were born, we have 80+ ducks that take up residence in our bull paddock for 6 months of the year because our old effluent ditch was the perfect hiding place coz it has macrocarpa's sheltering it and box thorn and long grass underneath them, we haven't used the ditch for 5 years and it is dry but they keep coming back. Its annoying coz I want to let my ducks free range near there but dont want any mallards getting jiggy with my ones.
roobz316
Chicken
Chicken

Postby sewren » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:54 am

roobz316 wrote:I think ducks like to come back to breed in the same place they were born

I think you're right - two years ago my in laws had one lot of ducklings on their property, last year there was three clutches, we're all hanging out to see how many come back this year!

Although that's got me thinking, I wonder if it's the ladies or gents who insist on going home to breed....?
Seventeen beautiful chooks in a rainbow of breeds and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby roobz316 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:51 am

Drakes will do what they are told if they no they will be rewared.... just guessing but thats how it works in the real world :lol: :lol:
roobz316
Chicken
Chicken

Postby RussellBenington » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:14 pm

Well...have tried the shotgun idea...but all they've done is move to the next paddock...s given up....will just have to move the ducklings if they have them... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RussellBenington
Emu
Emu

Postby sewren » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:58 pm

roobz316 wrote:Drakes will do what they are told if they no they will be rewared.... just guessing but thats how it works in the real world :lol: :lol:

Ha ha - YEAH RIGHT!! :lol: ;)
Seventeen beautiful chooks in a rainbow of breeds and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Return to Other Poultry