New to quails

Do you keep ducks, quails, turkeys, pheasants, guinea fowl or others?
Discuss here!

New to quails

Postby Kevandmum » Sat May 16, 2020 9:57 pm

Hi

My son and I would like to get some Japanese quails for eggs and hatching. Would it be better to start with young ones or hatching eggs? We would like to get unrelated birds to avoid inbreeding problems. Where are some good breeders around auckland area?
We have an outdoor covered run which is about 1.9m x 2.5m with sawdust on the ground. There’s wire in the ground to stop rats. Is that enough space for more than one breeding group?

Thanks
Inge
Kevandmum
Chick
Chick

Re: New to quails

Postby Marina » Thu May 21, 2020 10:11 am

Yes, that's ample space for Japanese quail.

Just be aware that the females hardly ever hatch their own young. Many don't even go broody and if they do they don't stay on the nest long enough.

You could try http://www.rarebreeds.co.nz/directoryf.html#other for a source of fertile eggs or birds. I did get fertile quail eggs from an Auckland breeder years ago but I no longer have the contact details. They usually advertise on TradeMe when they have eggs available.

Don't worry too much about inbreeding. Most breeders do flock mate which means there are many females and several males in one pen and it's unlikely you'll get a full brother sister pair. And even if you do, chances are it will be ok.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Re: New to quails

Postby Kevandmum » Thu May 21, 2020 3:02 pm

Thanks Marina
We do have an incubator so we’ll probably give that a go.
Kevandmum
Chick
Chick

Return to Other Poultry