I am planing to start small poultry farming, any idea?

Do you keep ducks, quails, turkeys, pheasants, guinea fowl or others?
Discuss here!

I am planing to start small poultry farming, any idea?

Postby vishalzala18 » Wed May 22, 2019 2:32 pm

HI ALl,

I am planing to start small poultry farming, any suggestion, idea or help? Where to start? How to sell? Where to sell?
vishalzala18
Chick
Chick

Re: I am planing to start small poultry farming, any idea?

Postby Blackshire » Sun May 26, 2019 3:39 pm

Hi, and welcome.

Maybe you could provide a bit of an intro first. What experience you have with poultry (type?) or livestock in general. How much land and personal preferences to work off?

Chickens? Ducks? Turkeys? Other...

Eggs vs meat or both?

If Eggs, have you researched viable local market supply, demand and pricing. Do you have a USP for your business venture? (As a consumer, why should I buy off you vs someone else and lowest price rarely cuts the mustard for a new start up)

If meat, have you read up on MPI and likely compliance costs or researched if there's a local abattoir that you can use?

Probably the best advice I can suggest right now is to google Simon Sinek ‘start with why’ as it really makes you analyse why you want to do something before you get to the logistics of the venture.

As an aside, I looked into the Duck market 2-3 years back, did all the above, legislation, costs, breeding, raising, processing and selling etc. we did a trial run of 50 birds to get a few concepts worked out and pulled the pin. It wouldn’t have worked out for us.

Cheers, John
Blackshire
Chick
Chick

Return to Other Poultry