Quail Newbie

Do you keep ducks, quails, turkeys, pheasants, guinea fowl or others?
Discuss here!

Quail Newbie

Postby LavenderLin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:04 am

After much research, we have decided to raise quail! We're going to get eggs to incubate, mostly because I know my kid will love seeing the whole process. Just ordered a basic but high quality Brinsea incubator; going to order some eggs once I know when it will arrive. Excited, but nervous. I've never raised poultry of any kind. Been doing a lot of internet research, and I'm happy to hear any and all quail-related advice. Some things I'm considering: Once hatched, whether to use a brooder or a heat lamp. Best source for quail food, both for chicks and adults. Outside run/hutch vs. indoor cage. We're in Wellington, it can get rather Windy, and rather wet in the Winter especially - I'm considering maybe an outdoor situation for Summer, and bring them indoors for the colder months.
LavenderLin
Chick
Chick

Re: Quail Newbie

Postby sewren » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:32 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum! I've never kept quail so won't be useful on many of your questions (but have a search on the forum - there have definitely been some quail discussions in the past) but I can say that you have got a good brand of incubator so that is a great start for success! And you're right - hatching eggs is great fun for kids :)
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Re: Quail Newbie

Postby Marina » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:54 pm

Hi LavenderLin and welcome to PC!

I used crumbs formulated for broiler chicks to raise quail. They grow very quickly on it. FeedMe Milling in Levin makes very good chick starter crumbs - with and without coccidiostat. For breeders the chick crumbles without medicaton is ideal.

I used a 40W incandescent light bulb for their brooder which is adequate.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Return to Other Poultry