My, err, unique, silver spangled hamburg

Discuss all chook related things here!
Also:
* The Library

My, err, unique, silver spangled hamburg

Postby eae » Sun May 13, 2018 7:07 pm

Meet Barbara, she's 5 months old, and just lies down wherever she finds herself. And I do mean lie down, she lays her head on the ground like she's dead. More than once a panicked family member has yelled "a chicken is dead, mum!"

And her brother, Linus, has terrible balance. He can't roost on anything and will trip over his own feet, and he sticks his wings out on the ground to balance himself :? On the upside, he will seek us out to be picked up.. jump up on our knees and is just generally cool. He's not started crowing yet, and I wonder if he'll fall over when he throws his head back to do it :lol:

They're just tiny birds too, is this usual for SSH? They're 5 months old and about the size of a 3 month old RIR. I'm not particularly concerned, I chose them because I love their patterning, just wondering how big they'll get. I bought the eggs from Appletons so hopefully they're the right thing! :)

And I couldn't help myself last week and bought 6 x 5 month old partridge wyandotte bantam hens :D A local lady was moving house and needed to reduce her breeding stock prior to the move. They're they sweetest little things. So much for the "no more bantams" rule I imposed upon myself last winter.

eae
Chicken
Chicken

Re: My, err, unique, silver spangled hamburg

Postby Marina » Mon May 14, 2018 10:10 am

Oh goodness - when I saw the pic I thought - 'another dead chicken thread'. I've never heard or seen anything like this. Her patterning looks the way it should but everything else is not visible to me.

Hamburgs are small compared to RIRs. Size wise they probably are between RIR and bantams when fully grown.

I'd just see how they go and your Partridge Wyandotte bantams look very nice indeed.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby eae » Tue May 15, 2018 1:50 pm

It's just bizarre, isn't it? They appear to act normal in every other way (we have 2 pullets and a roo from the hatch), and are truly lovely birds, just Linus is stuper unstable on his legs, and this one with her interesting resting posture :lol: We like having slightly odd birds around, we're not looking to breed, just enjoy, so something a bit different doesn't bother me at all. I have wondered if it is some muscle weakness thing, but I suppose time will tell if it is anything serious. They seem happy enough, aren't picked on by the others and just go about their merry way.
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby sewren » Thu May 17, 2018 1:33 pm

Oh wow - that is a weird one. I've sometimes had that thought about some of ours when they have a lie down, but it seems to be more in the warm weather when they do that (just relaxing in the sun, I think!) but never with any associated balance problems. I have no idea what could be going on, but I wonder if it would be worth giving them a little of a vitamin/mineral supplement (e.g. ornithon) just to make sure they have everything they need. Although if your other cooks are doing fine then that's probably not the problem... I'm stumped!

Pretty birds, by the way - both the hamburgs and the wyandottes! I had a 'no more hatching chicks' rule last year but ended up with a couple of dorkings anyway (who are now 2 of only 3 birds laying at the moment so I'm pleased I hatched them after all!) Our coop is getting a wee bit crowded, though, at 17 chooks, so I might have to try and stick to that rule this year. Wish me luck! :lol: :roll:
Seventeen beautiful chooks in a rainbow of breeds and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Return to General Chicken Keeping