Auckland- premium layer food for heritage large breeds

Discuss all chook related things here!
Also:
* The Library

Auckland- premium layer food for heritage large breeds

Postby CockLUVR » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:49 pm

Hello
Chook Manor no longer supplies the food we were buying (Weston Mills from Rangiora).
So now looking for an alternative. We have heritage breed chooks and want the very best quality food for these laying hens.
Would be ideal if the food was available delivered within Auckland.
Thanks
CockLUVR
Chick
Chick

Re: Auckland- premium layer food for heritage large breeds

Postby Marina » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:13 pm

Are you saying Chook Manor shipped the food to Auckland? Or did you get it from Chooks'n Things?

There is a list of suppliers of Weston feeds on their website: http://www.wan-nz.co.nz/auckland.html

I hope this helps.

There is, however, another feed available in the North Island which is pretty good. Can anyone help, please? I think Kracka used to get it. Wolga - do you know?
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby eae » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:48 pm

If you particularly want Weston Milling products, Sunset Croft in Warkworth stock it and I believe they will ship it - probably at a quite a cost though given the weight. Perhaps contact them and see if it fits your needs. I've dealt with Carolynn several times and always found her very helpful. Weston Milling products aren't all that easy to come by in Auckland.

I live not far from Sunset Croft and have purchased feed from there a few times, but to be honest, never noticed any difference in production or health from when we used NRM Peck N Lay, which isfar easier to source.

Where in Auckland do you live?

http://www.sunsetcroft.co.nz/contact-usorder-form.html
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:52 am

eae - I kow your birds free range with access to plenty of goodies. In that case it doesn't really matter what's in the pellets.

Most of mine are cooped up with just the odd goodie thrown in (I have too many and they have to share) and that's when it makes a huge difference which layer pellets are given.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby eae » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:49 pm

Marina wrote:eae - I kow your birds free range with access to plenty of goodies. In that case it doesn't really matter what's in the pellets.

Most of mine are cooped up with just the odd goodie thrown in (I have too many and they have to share) and that's when it makes a huge difference which layer pellets are given.

Good point, Marina. I hadn't considered that. I suppose it also matters more when one is breeding too.
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby wolga » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:04 pm

Falloons Stockfoods Ltd in Dairyflat have a wide range of chicken feed but I can't see what they stock on their website.
Kracka used to sell feeds from Feed Me Milling which is based in Levin.But she moved away from Auckland. They have a
excellent range of chicken feed including special formulas for heritage breeds. Check out their website. I think they ship
their feed. I feed Country Mile Chook Food at the moment and my chickens do very well. It's also good value for money.
wolga

Postby CockLUVR » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:11 pm

Hello and thanks sofar. We are in West Auckland. We got our chickens from the lady out past Matakana and she was feeding Weston Milling. Now the only place in Auckland that was selling it , Chook Manor, has closed down. They charged $5 courier to ship the sacks of feed to us in Auckland. Hence now looking for another top quality food to continue feeding the girls, but no point buying from the breeder as the price becomes silly with extra fees attached. Thanks
CockLUVR
Chick
Chick

Postby Foehn » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:00 am

We use Barnyard Layers pellets. For starters they have animal protein which the chooks do much better on than soy protein, and have a good mineral content. One of the most important for breeding hens is manganese which Barnyard have. Wrightsons are the selling agents, so Pukekohe or Helensville are your choices. it is also on special every 2nd month so I buy a supply when on special. I usually get through two months worth on schedule, but if I should run out, I can get 10kg bags (a bit more expensive this way) from Countdown which will carry me through until the next specials day..
Foehn
Quail
Quail

Postby eae » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:49 pm

If you are interested in Barnyard pellets, they are available in more places than Helensville and Pukekohe, thankfully :) That's what we're using at the moment too. I buy the 25kg bags locally in Warkworth, they're available at Falloons in Dairy Flat, and I'm pretty sure at RD1 in Albany and I think at Farmlands and Wrightsons in Wellsford (although that is probably way too far away!) and Lifestyle Animal Supplies in Swanson. They're a pretty common brand so I think the majority of farm supply stores stock them. And, yes Countdown for that emergency 10kg bag over the holidays. Have done that more than once!
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Return to General Chicken Keeping