chicken coop made from wooden pallets?

Discuss all chook related things here!
Also:
* The Library

chicken coop made from wooden pallets?

Postby jasper39 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:40 am

Hello All

I hope everyone and their feathered friends are well ...

I have not visited for a while - thankfully at this time all is well following a very sad time last October when i lost two of my beautiful girls :cry: I had one lonely girl for a few weeks until i found the most beautiful rhode island red pullet as a companion for her - and they have become best friends :)

I am now ready to add two more girls but my coop at the moment is too small - suitable and cosy for two but would be a tight squeeze for four. I have spent hours looking online for something suitable - all i see on trade me are cheap looking coops and the good quality ones i have seen, i cannot get locally so i am beginning to feel i may have to build one myself ( well not me personally but my husband and son, with me as supervisor ) .

Recently my husband was asked if he would like some wooden pallets from a friend - who had used some in gardening landscaping. I looked online for ideas to see if they could perhaps be used to build a coop - and it seems others have used them.

Can i ask if anyone here has used them?

I would be so grateful to hear what others think - indeed any ideas on finding a good quality coop, or building one would be much appreciated :) My main problems have been finding anything with a generous enough sleeping area - i do not need a run as my girls free range from dawn till dusk.

I have been deciding on what breed of girls to get - i would like a little mixed breed flock but cannot make plans until i get the housing sorted.

Many Thanks
jasper.
jasper39
Chick
Chick

Re: chicken coop made from wooden pallets?

Postby eae » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:12 pm

Hello -- glad you've found a friend for your wee girl. RIRs form the backbone of our very mixed flock (we have 5 RIRs out of 20 hens, and no more than 2 of any other breed :)) they're beautiful, friendly, robust girls who lay very consistently.

Regarding the pallets. Technically there isn't a reason why you couldn't use pallet wood so long as it is treated so it won't rot, but my concern would be all the joins and crevices where red mites could form raging colonies. Flat plywood surfaces are far less inviting for mites to make their homes in. But if that's all you've got to work with at the moment, then I'm sure a fine coop could be made. Just do watch carefully for mites over spring and summer and treat accordingly.

There are a number of good designs around that could be made if you have a bit of time and patience (assuming your husband and son aren't gung ho builders, that is!).

I bought a large coop from Appletons and paid a revolting amount of freight to Auckland, but at 5 years old it has been a fantastic coop and I imagine it will last a long time, and I'll be able to make any repairs no trouble at all. At the time there would have been no way I could have built that, but now my skills have changed some and I could see being able to build a similar one myself without too much drama. They're pretty basic if you can work out the framing, and then the most complicated bit would probably be the nest boxes and lids.

Here are the styles from Appletons if you've not already had a look.. they could give you some ideas.

https://www.chooks.co.nz/hen-houses

And the options from Outpost. These don't have built in floors though, which I find a bit odd. Fine if you regularly move it around though.

[urlhttps://www.outpostbuildings.co.nz/shop/kitset-hen-houses/x_cat/00319.html

Where are you located?
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:59 pm

Great to hear that your are looking at expanding your flock, Jasper.

Pallets are made from untreated pine so you need to treat the wood, ideally before using it to build a coop. If you don't treat it you'll be looking at building a new house in 2 or 3 years time. We have used this: https://www.harmlesssolutions.co.nz/eco ... tment.html and so far so good.

All of our chicken coops are home built and over the years the designs have improved dramatically. We no longer build nesting boxes - just one big community nest as they all lay in the same nest box anyway.

The mite issue definitely is there but even in plastic houses with no joints the mites find hiding places. Wood is expensive so using the pallet wood makes sense.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby jasper39 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:19 am

Many thanks for your replies and suggestions eae and Marina ~ very much appreciated :)

I have had a look at the Appletons coops you suggested eae - they are very good and i can see they would most certainly be a good long term investment ... sadly the prices are outwith my budget at this time ... but certainly something to consider perhaps in future. I am in Gisborne - i have looked locally with not much success despite our community being quite rural and i had the same difficulty in finding my girls and had to travel quite a wee bit for them ... so this has made me question whether building our own would be the best option ... as you say the structure is quite basic so we might give it a go ...

Hi Marina - nice to hear from you again and i hope this finds you well. Thank you so much for the recommendation of the product you use to treat the wood - it looks wonderful and i had been wanting to look for an organic treatment as i am never happy using products which could cause harm ... so you have saved me a lot of trouble :) and a good idea about nesting boxes also ... i only plan to have four girls and one does not lay any longer, so one nesting box between three would be ideal.

I think i might just be inspired to have a go at making our own ... at least that way we can get what suits us best and hopefully be proud of what we achieve and our feathered friends will be happy.
jasper39
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:01 pm

We once made a coop out of an old couch frame. We still have it. It's 1.2m long, 60cm wide and 60cm high. It has an entry on one side, the nesting box is the whole far end, about 60 x 40cm and there is a roost along two thirds of the length, about 20cm off the ground. The roof is a removeable lid which is held in place by a brick. It actually is one of my favourite houses. There is no floor, either, so moving it makes sure that different places get fertilizer. The nesting box end has a good amount of straw in there.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Return to General Chicken Keeping