How is hatching going for everyone?

Discuss all chook related things here!
Also:
* The Library

How is hatching going for everyone?

Postby eae » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:40 pm

I'm getting to it a bit late, but I've been waiting for my GLW to go broody. She did already in early August but no one was selling the eggs I wanted at that point, and she's waited until now to settle down again. I've ordered 10 golden campines and 5 silver spangled hamburgs, hopefully we'll end up with a couple of pullets from that lot :) I'm not going to do a bunch of chicks this year - probably just this lot unless it is a complete failure. Our big coop is almost full and I can't really keep stuffing more birds in just because I want more pretty little things running around :oops:

What is everyone else up to?
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Re: How is hatching going for everyone?

Postby Foehn » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:08 am

Had 100% on my first incubator hatch. Nearly lost one when he somehow got trapped under the feeder, and toes were all curled up, but with a bit of clever taping, he came right within 48 hours.
Second hatch not so good, but the eggs were specials I had gathered a bit early. 3rd hatch started yesterday, so far 70%. Have one that was stuck in the shell which was assisted, but I see it has wry neck. Don't know if being stuck cause it, or whether I have a hen among the Araucanas that produces these as only have had Araucanas with wry neck and there is one layer with a wry tail. It could be her, going on the colour of the latest chick, but knowing that doesn't help as I don't know which are her eggs so I can avoid hatching them.
Foehn
Quail
Quail

Postby Marina » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:35 am

This season started very very slow but finally a good hatch 3 weeks ago and another one yesterday. 16 out of 18 and 20 out of 22 hatched. Very happy!

In previous years I got hatches like this a month earlier.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby eae » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:46 pm

Sounds you like you pulled off some magic with the trapped chick, Foehn. Sounds like everything else is going well though :)

Marina, those numbers are looking a bit better, had the previous hatches been disastrous or had you not started until late this year?

I'm crossing fingers the same issue that plagued our chicks last year - leg weakness followed by leg paralysis doesn't show up again this year. By 11 weeks we'd lost 7 of 8 houdan hens and 1 araucana to it, then at 20w another araucana, but no RIRs or faverolles, which were all around at the same time. Weird.
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:12 pm

I, too, have had leg issues during the past few seasons but so far - fingers crossed, touch wood - all good. I'm pretty sure they've added something to the food that alleviates those problems. It was about time.

The problems started to pop up when they replaced meat meal with soy. I've also had a lost of twisted feathers in the adult birds, especially the tail feathers. I hope this, too, will no longer happen. Some breeds/strains were more susceptible to it than others.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby wolga » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:06 pm

I’ve had a couple of great hatches so far. Next lot is due
this weekend. Hatch rate has really improved since I do
dry incubation only and I haven’t had a single chick with leg
problems. I have a suspicion that this could be caused by
higher humidity levels.
wolga

Postby Marina » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:32 pm

I've had leg issues with hatches under hens. It's often not obvious because the hen kills such chicks. Because of the many dead chicks lined up outside nests I took the eggs away on day 18 and hatched them in the incubator. That's when I realized that a large proportion of chicks had wonky legs.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby eae » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:36 am

And my GLW has gone off the boil, sigh. This is the first time in 4 years she's done this! Usually once she settles down, it either takes hatching eggs or a good 5 days in a broody cage for her to snap out of it :( I'm hope I can cancel the egg order, they were supposed to ship this coming Monday. This is super disappointing. The only other broody I've got right now is a tiny D'Uccle cross with the meanest personality in the world (not sure she'd make a good mother), and she's already been resident in a broody cage for 3 days now, I don't think she'd sit back down even if I wanted her to.
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby wolga » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:20 pm

What a bummer ! Can your GLW cover 15 eggs ?
Bought 12 white Leghorn eggs on TM but only 7 were
fertile. That’s a bit disappointing. Maybe get a few
Araucana hens. I have broodies for Africa right now.
3 are sitting on eggs and 4 are in prison. :roll:
wolga

Postby eae » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:16 pm

She comfortably sat on 13 last year, so I was hopeful I could snuggle a couple more under there, especially if I fashion her a nice, deep nest.

In good news though, my other very reliable mother - a 3yo RIR, appears to have made a nest somewhere. Just finding her is the issue. The whole family took turns yesterday evening keeping an eye on her, but for an hour she just hung around, dust bathing and cleaning. Then as soon as we gave up watching, she must have taken off back to the nest. So I've held off on cancelling the eggs in the hope that before this time next week I'll have been either able to find her, or someone else will have settled down. Either that or we'll be having a $75 omlette :o

Wolga, our splash araucana (cross?) we got from you has gone broody I think 4 times already this season, but the good thing is she seems quick to come out of it and quick to lay again. She was just in the cage about 10 days ago, which doesn't really work with the timing of the eggs I've ordered! I'll definitely be giving her a go if my current plan doesn't work out, as along with my bantam wyandotte/pekin, she seems to be the most susceptible to broodiness.
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby sewren » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:44 pm

eae wrote:And my GLW has gone off the boil, sigh.
Oh no - that's the worst!!

I was away until mid-September, so with that and waiting on broodies, i'm only just getting on with hatching - although excitingly we have our first hatch of our own duck eggs happening today! We've never been able to have a rooster, so it's quite exciting to be having our own eggs hatching, although there is a lot of pipping and not much unzipping going on at the moment, so I'm starting to get worried that under the chicken is not quite humid enough - we've had such hot dry weather recently. But 10 out of 12 were developing well when I candled them, so as long as they don't get stuck we'll hopefully have some of them running round soon. I have to sit on my hands and try not to help (other than a wee mist with some water) but I'm getting very twitchy!

Apart from that, we have another set of duck eggs tucked away in a bush under a duck that decided to sit. I think they are due about now too so I keep going and listening next to the bush to see if I can hear any babies. I think she would freak out if I got any closer. We'll have to try and round them up into a pen once they are hatched. And I wasn't planning to hatch any chicken eggs this season, but happened to be offered some when I had a broody, so she has just 4 that are due next week (it woudln't be spring without chicks, ay? ;) )
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby sewren » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:03 am

Update - we have 7 ducklings this morning! :D :D :D Unfortunately there was also one that had unzipped but obviously didn't have the energy to get out. I'm not sure what happened there, but maybe the humidity under the hen was a bit low for the ducks...? There are another 2 eggs that have no sign of pipping yet, although I hadn't candled them for 2 weeks so maybe they had died in the meantime.... I'll open them up and investigate if they have no signs of pipping when she takes the others off the nest.

eae - any luck finding that broody...? I had a thought that if you know anyone with an incubator that you could maybe borrow, you could maybe start them off in there in the hope that you'll find the broody or another one will be ready to sit soon...? Although I suppose most people with incubators are using them at this time of year....
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby eae » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:00 pm

Exciting news on the ducklings :D :D I think they trump even chicks in the cute stakes. At our last house we were a highway for ducks and ducklings to the pond in the paddock next o our house - it was awfully cute watching them, but not so cute watching the numbers go down every day.

We did find the broody RIR this morning, she's made a lovely nest in..... the base of the fire pile :roll: My husband was planning on burning it some time this weekend too, glad it wasn't first thing this morning! I'll move her and her eggs to a maternity coop tonight. Wolga - our araucana has gone broody *again*, lol, so I'm going to leave her in the nest box as a backup plan in case the RIR doesn't work out somehow.
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby wolga » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:49 am

I think I will need some ducklings too this year !
So glad you didn’t turn your RIR into roast chicken Eae.
Just imagine ! :o I’m just about to set another hen on eggs
and have more hatching tomorrow. My hatches seem to take
longer this year for whatever reason. It takes up to two more
days for all eggs to hatch. Including the eggs hatched under a hen.
wolga

Postby sewren » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:52 pm

Oh my - someone needs to tell your chook that hiding in the burn pile just before bonfire night is NOT a good idea! So please you found her before she got roasted!! :shock:

You should definitely hatch some ducklings wolga - they are super-cute!

I am a bit worried about the duck sitting on eggs in the bush in terms of how well she'll go at looking after them. We made a pen yesterday so as soon as they hatch and she takes them off the nest we are going to try and round them up to somewhere that is safe from hawks and local cats. She got up yesterday and I ran to have a look and saw that they had started pipping, but she's still sitting tight today so I have no idea how they are doing. (This is making me seriously appreciate my great broody hens who don't care when I lift them up to check on their eggs!!)

I noticed yesterday that another duck seems to be missing. Given that I was down on egg numbers over the last few days, I suspect that she has hidden away a nest somewhere and is sitting on them too. I wonder when I'll find her....? (Luckily there's no burn pile in their paddock so at least that's not a risk!)
sewren

Next

Return to General Chicken Keeping