How is hatching going for everyone?

Discuss all chook related things here!
Also:
* The Library

Re: How is hatching going for everyone?

Postby wolga » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:32 pm

Sewren you will be flooded with ducklings before you know it.
Ducks are definitely on my list. I would like some welsh harlequin
or silver appleyard ducks. How do they do in the laying department?
Eae do you still have the white rooster you got from me ?
wolga

Postby eae » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:14 pm

Wolga - unfortunately no, we don't. At about 6 months he succumbed to the strange leg paralysis thing we had around here last summer. We thought at that age he would have been past it, but apparently that wasn't the case.

Today it became clear why my GLW got off her nest when she has never done that before, I think she has egg peritonitis :( I found her hunched in a corner of the driveway, very pale comb, laboured breathing, hard, swollen abdomen, yellow discharge from her vent. I popped her in the shade under a tree and she hasn't moved all day. I've put water and food near her, but I don't think she's had any. I'll be very sad to see her go, she's a wonderful mother and is our oldest hen, and just such a calm personality. She's one of the 3 that survived the dog attack last year, she came home nearly 2 weeks later with big bite wounds on her back, and didn't want to go into the chicken house for several days, but made a full recovery.

I had tried moving the splash araucana to a maternity coop a few days ago, and she wanted NOTHING to do with it. She tore up the nest, wouldn't sit down, and generally became the least broody thing on the face of the earth :roll: I had been going to give her a few of the eggs I'd ordered but not anymore! They'll all go under the RIR on Saturday night.
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby wolga » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:46 am

Oh what a bummer! I was hoping to borrow him for
a little while. Lost my white rooster and bought a
new boy from the SI. But it turned out that he’s splash
and not white. Yes the hens can be a bit stubborn.
Three of mine did exactly the same thing like yours.
But thankfully I have a few that pretty much sit
wherever I put them. So sorry about you GLW !
You should come to my Araucana Event next
weekend if you’re free and interested.
wolga

Postby sewren » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:53 pm

wolga wrote:Sewren you will be flooded with ducklings before you know it.
Ducks are definitely on my list. I would like some welsh harlequin
or silver appleyard ducks. How do they do in the laying department?
Eae do you still have the white rooster you got from me ?

Ours are silver appleyards and I really like them (although have never had anything else so can't compare). Through spring we were getting 5-6 eggs a day from the 7 ducks, so more eggs than we knew what to do with! Number have gone down a bit now since we've had a couple of broodies, but I also think they have got better at hiding the nests - every now and then I come across a nest-full and have no idea how old they are. This is our first year having ducks so I'm not sure how long they'll go on laying, but I've heard they normally have a shorter season than chickens. They do eat heaps, though, so i'm thinking of reducing the main flock from the 7 ducks/2 drakes to about 4 or 5 ducks/1 drake to cut down on the food bills, and that will still be plenty of eggs for us.

So at the moment we have the one chicken who hatched 7 ducklings, the other duck finally got off her nest with 5 ducklings (although I nearly lost one in the bushes when trying to get them into a pen but mum managed to lure it back out) and our little hen hatched 4 dorking chicks successfully on Wednesday, so all our pens are full for the moment. The other duck that was sitting decided to leave the nest, so I need to note not to let her sit and half-bake eggs again.

Sorry to hear abut the GLW eae - sad if she's at the end, especially if she's a doting mum :(
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby nhb » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:43 pm

Have had a very slow start to the breeding season, but have had a high pullet %.
nhb
Quail
Quail

Postby wolga » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:25 am

Funny you say that nhb ! It’s the same here.
My latest hatch was 3 cockerels out of 24. Before that
I had 1 cockerel out of 8 leghorn chicks. I m quite
happy about that ! :D
wolga

Postby eae » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:19 pm

Sewren, has your duck-sitting-in-the-bushes hatched yet? I hope things are going ok in that direction..

My GLW did end up dying, last Friday. So it was a pretty quick downturn, well, from when it was visible to me at least. With hindsight, it would seem she wasn't feeling well the week before when she got off her nest. I'm glad I realised she wasn't well beforehand and was able to give her somewhere quiet and safe to spend her last couple of days, and to thank her for being such a wonderful hen. Sounds silly, but it makes me feel better. She was an important bird in our flock.

Wolga - good luck with your Araucana event this weekend. I would probably have come but have a houseful of 14yo boys to keep an eye on :?

I'm candling the eggs under our RIR tonight, it is day 7. When she was up to eat a couple of days ago I had a peek in the nest and she's stood on one of the 10 golden campine eggs, but otherwise everything was looking good. Interestingly, she has no trouble at all covering 15 (well, 14 now!). I could probably have put a couple more under there and it would have been fine. I think 15 is probably enough at once though.
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby sewren » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:46 pm

eae wrote:Sewren, has your duck-sitting-in-the-bushes hatched yet? I hope things are going ok in that direction.

Yes! She appeared with 5 chicks eventually. She didn't get up until about 2 days after they hatched, and then I had a panicky moment when I thought a duckling was lost in the bushes as I tried to get them all in the pen, but they are doing well now. She is not the most friendly mum, though - definitely much more suspicious of me than the chickens are when they have babies!!

AND we have located two other ducks sitting on who-knows-how-many eggs in other bushes. I'm not sure when these ones started to sit, so will just have to keep alert for when they appear with their kids. I'm not sure we can make enough pens for all these ducklings, so some might have to take their chances out in the open!

My other wee broody hatched all 4 of her dorking eggs, which I was quite pleased about. Although I hadn't planned to hatch any chicks this year, because I decided the flock was big enough, but you know, sometimes these things happen when an offer is right there!

eae wrote:My GLW did end up dying, last Friday. So it was a pretty quick downturn, well, from when it was visible to me at least. With hindsight, it would seem she wasn't feeling well the week before when she got off her nest. I'm glad I realised she wasn't well beforehand and was able to give her somewhere quiet and safe to spend her last couple of days, and to thank her for being such a wonderful hen. Sounds silly, but it makes me feel better. She was an important bird in our flock.

I'm candling the eggs under our RIR tonight, it is day 7. When she was up to eat a couple of days ago I had a peek in the nest and she's stood on one of the 10 golden campine eggs, but otherwise everything was looking good. Interestingly, she has no trouble at all covering 15 (well, 14 now!). I could probably have put a couple more under there and it would have been fine. I think 15 is probably enough at once though.

Oh dear, sorry to hear about the GLW. Always sad when a favourite goes :( But on a more positive note - how did the candling go...?
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby eae » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:56 pm

It sounds like it is all go at your place :D I hope the others successfully hatch and you find a place to put them!

I candled the eggs tonight, day 8, with quite disappointing results. 1 of 9 golden campines and 3-4 of 5 silver spangled hamburgs. Considering the golden campines were the main goal, I'm bummed out! When I received the box they'd been shipped in, one end was quite crushed. The eggs were well packed in the cartons, and in a _lot_ of shredded paper, so I'd hoped that it was just superficial damage, but who knows what the problem is. It's really frustrating this is all happening comparatively late in the season too.

I've got another hen going broody, a little wyandotte/pekin cross, so I'd like to try and find some more campine eggs. Anyone know of a North Island breeder, even better, top half of the North Island? The rare breeds page doesn't seem to be working, not sure if that is a temporary or permanent situation.
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Kracka » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:33 am

eae - for Campine contacts, maybe contact the Whangarei Poultry club? I have an email for Graham Bellamy who might be able to point you in the right direction - kaiateahills@xtra.co.nz
at Auckland, we haven't had Campines exhibited for a few years (back in 2015 we had some exhibited by a couple from Thames) - so if you get no joy with Whangarei, let me know & I'll try and track down the past exhibitors and see if that gets any breeders
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby sewren » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:19 pm

Oh no eae - that is really disappointing! :( I had a similar thing when trying to hatch some silver sussex eggs last year - in the first lot 2 eggs were smashed in the post and none of the rest developed (I was so gutted when I candled them) and I got another set of eggs and only 1 seemed to be fertile (no blood rings on candling, and when I cracked a few eggs they were infertile) and that turned out to be a light sussex not a silver! I've given up on those for the moment, but might try again another year....

So I definitely feel your pain!! Do you know if yours were infertile or quitters...? I guess that is always the risk with getting eggs posted, but of course it's the special ones that suffer!! I hope you manage to find some replacement eggs!

On the ducks - I saw one off the nest today so I checked the nest and she's sitting on 12 eggs. Not sure about the other duck. I wonder how many ducklings we'll have in a few weeks.....? :?
sewren

Postby eae » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:22 pm

Thanks, Kracka. I'll give Whangarei a try and let you know.

The rare breeds site started working again and I got in contact with someone in Gisborne, but they breed both silver and gold and currently don't have them separated. She offered to separate them for me, but given that I've only got broody hens to work with and not an incubator, that option probably isn't the easiest time frame to work with.
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Previous

Return to General Chicken Keeping