chicken keeper for holiday/ absence

Discuss all chook related things here!
Also:
* The Library

chicken keeper for holiday/ absence

Postby chookster » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:42 pm

Hi there,
I am new to chickens and loving our little flock.
I was wondering what other people do when they go away for a few days - are there any dedicated chicken feeders/ minders around? or do people just ask neighbours/ friends etc???
I don't want to leave them to their own devices due to neighbourhood dogs.
Thanks!
chookster
Chick
Chick

Re: chicken keeper for holiday/ absence

Postby Marina » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:28 pm

Hi Chookster and welcome to PC :D

We have a treadle operated feeder and enough water for a few days in the pens. A lot of people who work leave their property in the morning when it's still dark and come back when it's already dark, especially during winter. They only really see their chooks during the weekend. When they come home from work they may collect the eggs - but only if it doesn't rain. I think this is a common scenario.

Have a look at treadle operated feeders: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4813

We have 7 of those. Made right here in NZ from aluminium, not galvanised steel. Ours are 7 or 8 years old now. No screw or bolt has ever come loose, and they are still in excellent condition.

When we go on holiday we ask a neighbout to collect the eggs. We've had different people over the years and most people are happy to do it for the eggs. Just don't expect them to enter a muddy run or having to crawl into a small coop to retrieve the eggs. It's best if eggs can be collected from outside the coop and if the feeders and waterers can be serviced without having to step into chook poo.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Re: chicken keeper for holiday/ absence

Postby eae » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:41 pm

We too have a treadle feeder and several large waterers. Both can hold a week's worth of pellets and water for our 20ish birds. We have an auto door opener/closer, so don't have to worry about that. We have a boy from across the road come over and collect eggs (and take them home) and generally cast an eye around for any possible problems. We've had issues with a dog before so want someone to at least make sure there aren't piles of feathers on the grass. Our birds don't have a run so it does make me feel a touch nervous leaving them for several days, but we do do it and haven't had any problems so far.
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Return to General Chicken Keeping