HELP - Chickens Attacked (dead)!! (not for the fainthearted)

Discuss all chook related things here!
Also:
* The Library

HELP - Chickens Attacked (dead)!! (not for the fainthearted)

Postby Lin » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:49 pm

Hi all, I'm new to the site. Dad's bought a lifestyle block about a year or so and has got himself a number of free ranging chickens. He's been away overseas and reckons we've lost 6 (unaccounted for) over the past few weeks. Just two days ago, he's since discovered 7 dead chickens around the property. The poor chooks died horrifically at the hands/mouth of another animal - see photos. Apologies to those who don't not want to see these. There was neighbour with a small dog who don't get on well with chickens, but the neigbhour has since put the dog on a neck bracelet and we don't recall having seen that dog around our property for a period of time. A friend has suggested it might be a hawk or even wild cats. Any ideas on the culprit from the photos so we could hopefully get down to the bottom of this and to better protect the whats left of the chicken population? Otherwise, we might have to install CCTV cameras just to catch the bugger. Thank you in advance for any suggestions/comments.

Lin
Chick
Chick

Re: HELP - Chickens Attacked (dead)!! (not for the fainthear

Postby wolga » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:39 pm

Hi Lin,
wow what a shock discovery ! The first picture looks like a hawk had a meal but that doesn't mean he killed the chook.
My first guess would be a dog. Very sorry for your losses !
One of our members had a similar experience.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5565#p45329
wolga

Postby Marina » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:32 pm

The poor chooks.

Lots of feathers missing tends to be an indication that it was a dog. We've had several dog attacks and usually you can see the teeth marks. This can give you a clue re the size of the dog.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby eae » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:33 pm

That's pretty upsetting stuff to find :( I don't have a suggestion on what it could have been, but I hope there isn't a repeat.

Like Marina said, you can sometimes see teeth marks from dog attacks. I lost 10 birds overnight about a year ago to what we assume was a dog attack. The 3 who eventually came home, injured, all had large bite wounds across their backs where they'd been picked up and shaken around. The remainder of the evidence was many large piles of feathers. Dogs like to grab hold and shake the birds like a toy.

Do you know if this happened at night or during the day? We never used to close our coop at night, but started after the attack last year. We now have a light sensing automatic door unit that opens at dawn and closes at dusk. Fairly costly, but worth the convenience and peace of mind to us.

https://www.chickenguard.com/
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Return to General Chicken Keeping