Chickens won't eat their dead mice

Discuss all chook related things here!
Also:
* The Library

Chickens won't eat their dead mice

Postby llvonn » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:39 am

Hi all, its been a while since I have been here. My two older chooks passed on but the young ones (now over a year old) do not seem to get the concept of eating mice. The older hens would always be first in to get them, the ones remaining are ignoring them. Any ideas??
llvonn
Chicken
Chicken

Re: Chickens won't eat their dead mice

Postby Marina » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:42 pm

Hi Ilvonn, nice to see you on here again. There is a difference between breeds - some breeds eat mice, others don't. Barred Plymouth Rocks are known to be mice eaters. My Orpingtons don't touch them.

Are the chooks you currently have the same breed a the ones who passed on?
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby llvonn » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:03 pm

Hi Marina, No they are not. I have one unknown breed, one leghorn/RIR and one faverolle. The faverolle has previously been given a mouse, but the other hen snatched it from her mouth. A rooster I had up to about two weeks ago did eat the mice.
llvonn
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:17 pm

Hmm - not sure. A mouse is a big thing for a hen to swallow. If we have a surplus mouse we give it to the cat so I have to admit that I have no experience with mouse eating chooks.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby eae » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:46 pm

Some of mine will fight over mice, mostly the barred rocks, RIRs and our gigantic australorp. Last week the latter found a mouse one of the cats had left in the driveway, she pecked it once, grabbed it in her beak and choked it down in almost a single movement :shock: It was quite a thing to witness. Usually there is a chain of chooks running around the place after whoever has managed to find a mouse. My husband throws out the mousetrap victims to them and there is usually a chain of cooks running around after the lucky one who is the first to grab it. That said, I don't think any of our wyandottes have been fond of mice. Our varied selection of younger birds (6-9mo) are still too far down the pecking order to get a chance to check out a mouse.. I'm sure their time will come though, and it'll be interesting to see who is interested and who isn't.

I can only suggest keeping on tossing them out and maybe someone will get up the courage to give them a go..
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Return to General Chicken Keeping