Free range chicken farmers birthday gift advice?

Discuss all chook related things here!
Also:
* The Library

Free range chicken farmers birthday gift advice?

Postby freerangeJ » Mon May 08, 2017 8:35 pm

Hello Poultry forum,

As you guys can see from the title it is a farmer birthday coming up soon but not just any farmer, my grandmother. She really is a top woman and I fully respect her in every way. This is why this year I want to get her something special that she can keep or possibly use every day. But as I have not taken the farming root in life as of yet and in all honesty, I don't spend much time with my gran at the farm. I do visit just out of farming hours, she prefers it that way anyway, I'm not in the way haha. I have been thinking for a while but I really can't come up with anything that seems like a good idea and it is driving me stir crazy!

So the question is, what would you guys love for your birthday from your grandson? Something that you would cherish? whether it has something to do with farming chickens or something for your personal life?

This would mean so much to my grandmother being as I have only gotten her a card every year so I'm really looking forward t speaking with you all and seeing what gift ideas you have. Any suggestions are welcome and greatly appreciated.

EDIT: From the awesome Solar Idea I have found some Beautiful Solar lights here http://www.used.forsale/canada/solar-lights Beautiful

Thanks

Last edited by freerangeJ on Thu May 25, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freerangeJ
Chick
Chick

Re: Free range chicken farmers birthday gift advice?

Postby Marina » Thu May 11, 2017 9:48 am

This is the best question EVER!

The cake looks cool but I'm not sure whether a grandmother with a farming background would want to ingest all those artificial colours...

The loveliest gift I've ever been given by one of our children was a solar powered shed lamp for my chicken coop. I switched it on when it started to get dark and it slowly faded at around 11pm which gave the chickens a longer period of light during winter. We've never had that many winter eggs.

Our son purchased it from the Warehouse for $20 (price sticker was still on). Sadly it only lasted for one season - as many of these Chinese made things do. But it was a lovely gift indeed.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby freerangeJ » Mon May 15, 2017 4:43 pm

I never actually thought and the artificial colours you have made a very good point. I love the idea of solar powered shed lamps but solar in general, has given me a whole new route to go down.

Thanks for the reply I'm going to have a look online at some of the options I have then get back to you to see what you think!
freerangeJ
Chick
Chick

Postby freerangeJ » Fri May 19, 2017 4:05 pm

I have decided to get her some solar lamps like suggested above but I want to take this to the next level. If I could turn her mostly solar then that would be a great gift that would potentially last for the rest of her life!!!! win win
freerangeJ
Chick
Chick

Postby wolga » Fri May 19, 2017 6:37 pm

That's a awesome idea ! Your grandmother will be very pleased !
wolga

Postby sleepinghorse » Sun May 21, 2017 10:03 pm

Another idea. Take your grandmother out for lunch and then to see Pecking Order. :D
1 Barnevelder
3 Plymouth Barred Rocks
1 Orpington
1 Speckled Sussex
1 Brown Leghorn
Visit my blog http://mytinybroodofbackyardchooks.wordpress.com
sleepinghorse
Pheasant
Pheasant

Return to General Chicken Keeping