Natural/organic worming

Discuss all chook related things here!
Also:
* The Library

Natural/organic worming

Postby Tarn » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:55 am

Hi all - just wondering about a couple of natural/organic remedies I've seen recently.

Has anyone tried or know anything about BetaDrench for worming, and does it work? Also Stockmans Friend (though that seems to be an all round tonic than specifically a wormer).
I've tried Aviverm but unless it is a hot summer day they won't drink it. Last two times they were shut in all day with only aviverm laced water to drink, by the end of the day the level in the bowl didn't appear to have dropped at all. After searching online this seems to be a common problem.
I have seen worms (well, 1 worm) in poo, so we definitely have (or had) at least one chicken with worms (the one I know had worms had to be euthanized recently).

Natural/organic things are always more expensive (initial outlay plus more frequent maintenance dosing), so I want to make sure it will actually work.
Hoping someone here will have some insight :)
Tarn
Chick
Chick

Re: Natural/organic worming

Postby wolga » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:42 pm

I use beta drench for my sheep and chooks.
Works great. I find it's best to mix it into a mash
of chicken pellets , water and leftover food which I put
through the food processor. They finish it of in minutes
and you get the right amount of drench into them.
wolga

Re: Natural/organic worming

Postby Marina » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:41 am

I give my chooks coarsely chopped pumkin seeds - the green hull-less ones from the bulk food department in the supermarket. 1 tablespoon per 3 hens. This paralyzes the worms and they are excreted the natural way. It mainly works for roundworms - the spaghetti - like ones. But if you have a worm problem you'll need something that kills all stages of the worms.

I mix the chopped-up pumpkin seeds with mash and make it slightly wet so it sticks together.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Return to General Chicken Keeping