Pecking order

Discuss all chook related things here!
Also:
* The Library

Re: Pecking order

Postby Marina » Fri May 19, 2017 11:17 am

One of the breeders I know used to breed a couple of thousand per breed per year. With a good eye for a good bird this allowed him to win many championships, best of group and best in show prizes. I breed Faverolles. Not much competition there as there is no chance a Faverolles will ever win best heavy breed. Therefore the really keen exhibitors don't breed them.

In the Black Orpingtons there may be 20 birds entered per class - that's how many breeders have them.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby sewren » Sun May 21, 2017 3:16 pm

Marina wrote:One of the breeders I know used to breed a couple of thousand per breed per year.

Wow - that's heaps! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I was lucky enough to win free tickets for the film, but I'm waiting for them to come in the post so I can't see it until next week. Great to hear the good reviews - I am excited to see it! :)
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby eae » Sun May 21, 2017 5:11 pm

I was hoping to go last Thursday, but life got in the way.. grr. I'm making time on Tuesday, everyone else can wait! Good to hear people think it is a good show :)
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Sun May 21, 2017 9:55 pm

I've seen it for the second time today :o

First time it all was a bit overwhelming so I didn't take notice of so many little things that are being said and featured. It really is well made and shows a lot of what's going on during a National Poultry Show (quite a big part has been filmed at Oamaru in 2015). Next National Show will be in Christchurch, June 23 and 24 is public viewing.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby sleepinghorse » Sun May 21, 2017 10:11 pm

LOVED this movie. Even my husband loved it. Well done everyone.
1 Barnevelder
3 Plymouth Barred Rocks
1 Orpington
1 Speckled Sussex
1 Brown Leghorn
Visit my blog http://mytinybroodofbackyardchooks.wordpress.com
sleepinghorse
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby eae » Wed May 24, 2017 2:31 pm

I finally got to see it this morning.. what a great film. An interesting observation of the inter-personal dramas you get with all volunteer run clubs, and with a backdrop of some gorgeous birds :) I also thought it was great that the film maker didn't seem to tilt the show to make fun of anyone, as he easily could have. All in all very enjoyable.
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby sewren » Fri May 26, 2017 2:17 pm

I saw it last night and loved it!! :) :) I went with some friends who aren't chicken people at all, and they enjoyed it too, so it's definitely not just for those of us who have caught the chicken bug!
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby Henne » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:36 pm

I watched this movie a couple of weeks ago and I highly recommend it. Yes, there were a couple of laughs at the expense of the protagonists, but anyone who's a member of a club worth belonging to has probably met characters and been in situations like the movie portraits (or is one themselves :D ) I came away with a huge admiration for the knowledge and dedication these people have and for their beautiful chooks. Also, it made me look up their website, which led me to this forum!
Henne
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:32 pm

That's great to hear, Henne.

Will you be coming to the Christchurch Poultry Show?
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby wolga » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:53 am

Pecking order is going international ! It's becoming popular in Europe.
https://www.edfilmfest.org.uk/2017/pecking-order-0
wolga

Postby Kracka » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:50 am

I really enjoyed the movie - thought Brian Glassey was a real star, really interesting character

yeah, talking about breeding to succeed - I'm trying to breed Crested ducks - I saw a magazine that had a headline 'Bred best in show winners in 2 years' - for the Cresteds, in Australia, so I thought, I have to get that magazine. But when I read the article, they were hatching (think it was) 700 ducklings a year... and yeah, if I was doing that, I probably could too!
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Previous

Return to General Chicken Keeping