Pullet stopped laying - sick?

Discuss all chook related things here!
Also:
* The Library

Pullet stopped laying - sick?

Postby Chickago2012 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:18 pm

Our 2nd wyandotte pullet has laid eggs for the 5 weeks we have had her. ( Bought off Trademe as 'just starting to lay") sometimes the eggs were "pimply" and rough feeling and quite thinned shelled. I have been giving them good feed , free ranging , and food scraps for extra calcium . last week i noticed her crouching and looking miserable , staying in one spot. Around her eyes looked pale. Have had no eggs for 2-3 weeks. Now she looks BETTER this week and acting normally again but still no eggs! I picked her up and felt her tummy . it felt soft . I dont know what im looking for though!! What could be the problem? :?:
Chickago2012
Chick
Chick

Re: Pullet stopped laying - sick?

Postby Marina » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:50 am

Wyandottes in general aren't consistent layers. They take the occasiona break. If she looked sad she may have had a problem but as she is better again I would continue to wait for her to lay again.

If the egg was 'pimply' I assume she, too, has a problem with her shell gland and the last layer isn't put on properly. Maybe the lady you bought them of has a genetic problem in her line and moves on those who don't lay nice eggs :evil:
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Chickago2012 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:41 am

Not a single egg since i last posted!
Chickago2012
Chick
Chick

Postby Foehn » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:49 pm

Hang on in there with her. Always possible the rough shell was caused by an infection that will take her time to get over. Also if you have been having the hot weather as we have, a lot of my hens are starting to moult, so eggs have dropped right off here.
Foehn
Quail
Quail

Postby Kracka » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:08 pm

food scraps for extra calcium

might be better to have a separate bowl of oyster grit for extra calcium?
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Return to General Chicken Keeping