Pullet only laying soft shelled eggs

Discuss all chook related things here!
Also:
* The Library

Pullet only laying soft shelled eggs

Postby Chickago2012 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:08 pm

Hello We have a wyandotte pullet which we bought off trademe as "just starting to lay" . the lady said they were soft shelled eggs and she was feeding her dolomite for that.
We have had her for 4 -5 weeks she has only ever laid soft shelled eggs. i have fed her a good diet since , free ranging and good quality pellets with food scraps and egg shells for extra calcium , but to no avail yet? Can this problem be fixed?
Chickago2012
Chick
Chick

Re: Pullet only laying soft shelled eggs

Postby nhb » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:05 am

If they are pullets from this breeding season that would mean that they were laying around or before Xmas, I am no expert for this breed but to me it means that they have started to lay very early for a heavy breed which is a good thing. But it also makes me a little suspicious as to are they really pullets I hope iam wrong, but not everything on trade me is what it is made out to be. You can expect a few soft shell eggs from the odd pullet but if you are doing what you say I wouldn't of thought this would be a problem. or continue
nhb
Quail
Quail

Postby Marina » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:47 am

Wyandottes take a bit longer to start to lay than North Holland Blues - somewhere around 7 to 8 months - so your Wyandotte pullet may well be this season's breeding.

Sometimes, when a pullet starts to lay for the first time, her glands are a bit out of sync and she may lay an egg before the shell is put around it. Or, sometimes, they lay a perfectly formed egg followed by a shell-less egg. Others lay the occasional double yolker.

However, if this continues for weeks, something is seriously wrong with the pullet and if the lady you bought her of said she only lays soft shelled eggs she probbaly sold her for this reason. She should have done the honourable thing and either kept her or culled her - but not move the problem on to someone else.

I've had one or two such pullets over the years and they didn't have a long life. It won't take long until one of those soft shelled eggs breaks. The hens eat it and may start a habit of egg eating. Giving more grit won't help as there is a non-working egg shell gland.

Laying soft-shelled eggs can be transient. There are a couple of viruses I know of - egg drop syndrome and infectious bronchitis. They clear up by themselves. It takes about 6 to 8 weeks. Your pullet has had the problem for longer than that and obviously your other hens haven't started to lay soft-shelled eggs so It's unlikley to be a disease.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Chickago2012 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:44 am

Not a single egg form either chicken since i last posted. I notice the one that has layed a few rubber eggs in the past goes into the nesting box regularly. her tail feathers move up and down while shes in there, but i haven't yet seen an egg of any type for a while! I guess i keep waiting and hope for the best?
Chickago2012
Chick
Chick

Return to General Chicken Keeping