Something killed my chicken - help

Discuss all chook related things here!
Also:
* The Library

Something killed my chicken - help

Postby Kirst » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:21 pm

This morning I went into the coop and one of the chickens in a nesting box was dead. Head intact and top of body, but breast area looked like it had been completely eaten - that I could see bone. Weird thing ws there was no blood in the nesting box or anywhere I could see. All the other chickens were fine. They sleep on the roosting rails and some in the boxes. This is in an enclosed area - door was closed except for the small chicken door at the bottom (like a cat flap size) and then that is is a caged area with about 6.5 foot fencing. Any ideas what this could be and how to get rid of it!

Thanks
Kirst
Chick
Chick

Re: Something killed my chicken - help

Postby wolga » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:06 pm

Hi Kirst !
That's really awful ! What a shock. I would assume that the attack happened outside the the coop and that the hen just made it back home to die.
Are your chooks free range ? Any neighbours close by with dogs ?
wolga

Postby Marina » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:44 pm

Sorry to hear about your sad find. Is it possible that a hedgehog was able to get at your hen?

There also is the possibility that your hen died of a natural cause - or a spider bite - and then got half eaten. Hence no blood.

Rats would also be candidates to nibble from a dead chook.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Kirst » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:04 am

Hi

Thanks for reply. They are free range during day but go to bed in a shed with roosting rails and raised nesting boxes. That is also surrounded by an enclosed fenced area (ovr 6 foot) with gate. The shed door was closed apart from a small door that they get out in the morning. She was in the box in the morning. I was thinking aybe she did die of natural causes and something ate her through the night. They go into the area about 4-5pm. I shut the small door last night and all was well this morning. I have put some rat traps out too...
Kirst
Chick
Chick

Postby Kracka » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:08 am

Yep, no blood implies she was dead before she was nibbled - not nice to find though
rat traps a good idea
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Return to General Chicken Keeping