Are we in for an Early Winter?

Discuss all chook related things here!
Also:
* The Library

Are we in for an Early Winter?

Postby Marina » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:45 pm

At first I thought my Orpington roosters look a bit manky but on closer inspection I realised - they are already moulting! Usually the end of February is when they loose their sickle feathers here in Canterbury but this year they lost them some time ago because the new ones are already coming through. Last year we had a very long and warm summer and my roosters moulted very late. Has anyone else made a similar observation?
Marina
Emu
Emu

Re: Are we in for an Early Winter?

Postby Kracka » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:46 pm

our ducks are moulting

we haven't had a summer yet?????
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby Marina » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:53 pm

Not much of a summer here, either, just the odd very hot day, followed by several cold and windy days.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Scarlet » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:21 am

One of my hens is moulting (Partridge Wyandotte) - bizarre!
2 BPR crosses (Trouble and Brownie), 1 BLW (Lily), 1 Partridge Wyandotte (Rosie), 1 Black Orpington (Nigella), 3 Barnevelders (Alison, Annabel and Delia), and one Barnevelder cockerel (Gordon).
Scarlet
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby Foehn » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:34 pm

My big rooster also looking moth eaten. Hens too are beginning to moult. Don't usually get them moulting this early either, but we haven't really had a summer and had to juggle the hay making around the cold nights with poor drying during the day. If that's a forecast, i do not know
Foehn
Quail
Quail

Postby nhb » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:41 pm

Haven't noticed any moulting to speak of one with a bit of a bare bum still getting 8-9 eggs a day from 10 hens, the weather sounds the same are they still laying ok . My problem is that I have no roosters left alive all three have died this breeding season, thank goodness I have 13 nhb cockerals and 1 buttercup cockeral hatched out. plus 2 buttercup cockeral that another breeder hatched out before my boys demise . haven't lost any girls
nhb
Quail
Quail

Postby Marina » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:32 am

Bugger, NHB - that's not a good record. Did they not like the climate down south?
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby eae » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:41 pm

Don't have anyone losing feathers up here north of Auckland yet. The weather has been so mild that they're all still laying pretty well too.
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby nhb » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:13 pm

Don't know if it is weather related, 1 had lost a lot of condition and the other 2 seemed to be OK.
nhb
Quail
Quail

Postby sweetpea08 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:44 pm

interesting my wyndottex coching has lost a few geathers around her neck she is still laying but not as often say lasy twice then takes a break.
My white orpington hasnt laid well at all she started off well in september fro say three weeks and since is very sporodic she hasn't laid at all in the last 16 days.

I would say the very spring like pattern with lots of cloudy days is possibly affecting this. As a side note my christmas catus which flowers in winter is flowering now.
sweetpea08
Chick
Chick

Postby tishie11 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:32 pm

My place is a sea of feathers - my 2 turkeys are dropping all their feathers after they decided to stop being broody (actually the field where they were both sitting got mowed!) They are now like 2 pincushions and don't like being touched!
tishie11
Turkey
Turkey

Return to General Chicken Keeping