dehydration symptoms

Discuss all chook related things here!
Also:
* The Library

dehydration symptoms

Postby Panda » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:17 am

I have had my new Pullets (21wks) for 8 days and I have two automatic drinking cups. I have seen all three chickens drink from the cups lots of times but over the week only about 2-3L has been drunk. All chickens look healthy. Should I be worried?
Panda
Chick
Chick

Re: dehydration symptoms

Postby Marina » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:25 pm

Why would you be worried? It depends on what you give them to eat, whether they have access to greens, what the temperature is etc how much water they consume. You probably spoil them with goodies the commercially kept hens never get to see - let alone eat. The average water consumption you can find on websites is measured in chickens that are locked up on dry ground with only pellets to eat.

As long as they look healthy there is no reason to worry.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Panda » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:32 pm

Thanks Marina, No reason to worry. I could not find any web links that had a good range for water use. Most said 0.5L per bird per day but up to 1.0L per bird per day. My birds are not fee range they are in a large run, approx. 6m2 of grass and 15m2 of wood shavings. They have plenty of food inc scraps, worms etc so I guess some water from those.
Panda
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:34 am

Those websites you are quoting have to provide information that makes absolutely certain that no chook gets dehydrated, no matter how hot and dry it is. It's always better to provide more water than they need. If layers have not enough water, egg production drops dramatically. If yours are not laying yet you'll notice an increase in water consumption once they lay.

If you use automatic drinking cups this probably is the cleanest and most efficient method of providing water. Other methods like a 10l bucket (that's what I use) are less efficient.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Return to General Chicken Keeping