Exciting question about.... chicken wire

Discuss all chook related things here!
Also:
* The Library

Exciting question about.... chicken wire

Postby CockLUVR » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:45 am

Slowly getting things organised...
Chickens organised. Ready soon for collection.
Feeder organised.
Coop organised.
Feed organised.

Now fencing off an area in the garden. For our heavies we have been advised a fence height of 120cm is adequate, but will get some warratahs that can go a little higher should the need arise.

Now just getting the chicken wire. We are picking up some pullets when they are ready and they are Rhode Islands, Australorps and Orpingtons.

Wondring about heads/feet getting stuck in the wire. Should I be aiming for a specific type of chicken wire? Will smaller or larger 'holes'? I dont want use the battery powered electric stuff for various reasons.

Also, maybe this is a silly question, but we have a lot of this kinda stuff sitting around already... appropriate instead of chicken wire to fence off chooks without endangering them?

Thanks again

Ang :mrgreen:
CockLUVR
Chick
Chick

Re: Exciting question about.... chicken wire

Postby nhb » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:42 pm

I have the electric type but never powered it up and it works really well the non electric can be chewed through by rabbits etc . I have also used sheep mesh with large breeds and had no problems with escaping chickens. I have also used chook mesh and had no problems with them getting caught up in it.
nhb
Quail
Quail

Postby eae » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:48 pm

If you're not needing to deal with chicks, then I think the 50mm size chicken wire is sufficient - they're not going to get stuck in that and it is the cheapest option. Well, that is what I use all over the place :) Do shop around for chicken wire, it can vary wildly in price. I recently bought several 10mx900x50mm rolls and they were $18 each from Falloons in Dairy Flat. If you need the length, it is cheaper to buy in 50m rolls, but depending on the area you need to fence, it can be more difficult to manipulate in the big reel. We had to line a 120m boundary fence (to help ensure the neighbour's bull terrier stays on her side, grr) that is up a reasonably steep hill. We chose to spend a bit extra and use the 10m rolls just for the ease of installation.

I also found that only one of my birds (a Rhode Island Red) was ever interested in getting over a 900mm high fence into the vege garden, but they also have plenty of other options since we live on a small lifestyle block. If you're in a suburban section they may have more motivation to see what is on the other side of the fence.

Sounds like you're almost there :)
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Foehn » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:07 pm

I kept 12 adult hens in an urban section for years and never once had a problem with them going over the 900mm fence into the neighbours beautiful garden, but then, it was sold board and they couldn't see through it. The 1500 pool fencing on the other hand, the Barnevelders all flew over it and a neighbour found them wandering along the road and drove them home. Of course they could see through it and the grass is always greener..... :mrgreen:
Heavy breed hens like RIRs are easy enough to train as pullets. Just clip one wing (primary flight feathers) right back the edge of the overlapping layer Good photographs here.http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-clip-trim-the-wings-of-your-chicken-to-prevent-flight
Clipping one wing, tends to make them unbalanced. If they don't learn as youngsters, they tend not to later. Make sure you peg down the bottom of the wire netting. They are quite capable of going underneath it.
Foehn
Quail
Quail

Postby eae » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:42 pm

Agreed on pinning the fence at the bottom, ours have made dust bath areas right up next to some areas and have indavertently dug under the edge :roll: Buy some galvanised weedmat pins/staples and they won't rust and do a good job. If you're just needing a few, bear in mind the Westminster brand pins from The Warehouse aren't galvanised - but Cosio brand from Mitre10 are.

https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/cosio-weedmat-pins-20-pack-230mm-silver/p/142452
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby CockLUVR » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:28 pm

Thanks sofar.

What I meant to add, was that I have a load of this sorta stuff handy. Any reason to not use it? I dont know if hens 'peck' at it and can nibble bits off, which may not be so good for them?
Thanks
http://www.trademe.co.nz/home-living/ou ... 725946.htm
CockLUVR
Chick
Chick

Postby CockLUVR » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:28 pm

And does Falloons have a website? I had a google but nothing came up.

But while I'm at it.. Weston Milling food for the girls... we are in west auckland... where is the closest place to Titirangi to purchase this (please note I do not like to support multinationals like Animates) and/or who can deliver within Auckland at a reasonable price?
F
For 'shops' such as RD1 or Farmlands...does one need to be a farmer or how does the signing up work?

Thanks again...
Ang :D
CockLUVR
Chick
Chick

Postby eae » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:15 pm

No, Falloons does not have a website. They're a large shop but a pretty old fashioned affair. Don't buy chicken food from Animates.. I can't imagine their turnover of the stuff would be quick enough to keep it fresh. RD1 does not require an account, it is just like any other shop - I can't say for sure about Farmlands as I've never shopped there. You can buy food from RD1 if there is one close to you. Weston Milling products are hard to find in Auckland as they are mainly a South Island company. Their website is only showing 2 distributors in Auckland - Pukekohe and Warkworth. However, there are other, perfectly good options. Lots of people, myself included, use Peck N Lay.. which is widely available in Auckland. About $35 for a 25kg bag. Although with only 3 birds you might want to stick to the 10kg bags. There are other brands too - Mainfeeds products (Peak Lay, Barnyard etc). Your best bet might be somewhere in Kumeu, or someone probably sells the stuff online. Shipping costs might be pretty ugly though.

http://www.wan-nz.co.nz/auckland.html

I see no reason why you shouldn't use the PVC coated mesh you already have. I've used it for circling young plants, just not as actual fence. Should work fine though.
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby CockLUVR » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:11 pm

If we do choose chicken wire... how long does ungalvanised wire last? does it deteriorate rapidly? too many choices...
we were planning to use some fencing material attached to warratahs (1.8m, so 1.5 m above ground) and are also considering cheap and cheerful but not flimsy 'gate' to enter and exit... has anyone come across some cool DIY gate videos or done something themselves? trying to keep things simple, but durable...
CockLUVR
Chick
Chick

Postby Foehn » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:43 pm

Pallet timber should be easy to get hold of free, and is strong enough to make an excellent gate. As long as it is off the ground there shouldn't be any problem with it going rotten quickly. ( you can paint it too) You could either hinge it on one side as is, or, pull apart and rebuild into a lighter version.
It will need doubles top and bottom with single slats sandwiched in between, a diagonal to keep it square and hinges attached top and bottom bolted through the double thickness.
Foehn
Quail
Quail

Postby CockLUVR » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:27 am

Thankyou.

And I think I might take advantage of Lifestyle Animals and Pet Supplies over in Swanson- they also seem to deliver.
CockLUVR
Chick
Chick

Return to General Chicken Keeping