Conflict: Husband vs Ronnie Rooster

Discuss all chook related things here!
Also:
* The Library

Conflict: Husband vs Ronnie Rooster

Postby Anihera » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:36 am

Hi all.
I love our 4 year old Ronnie Rooster (Leghorn Blue) though he is fiesty.
Rather than knock him off as a young guy, I chose to ‘train’ him to be more well manored, by carrying him around during morning chores for 10-20 mins on some days at a time to educate him as to who is boss.
It does work, but I haven’t been able to be as consistent as I could have been.

We’ve kept Ronnie and his 4 girls (Welsummer: ‘Pretty’, Light Sussex: ‘Snowgoose’, Rhode Is Red: ‘Timtam’, Plymouth Barred Rock: ‘Sparkles’) almost 4 years now and they’ve grown up together from chicks. They are beautiful to have around.

Sadly my husband and Ronnie have had a rocky relationship and it’s not looking good for Ronnie.

Has anyone else had a fiesty Rooster, chosen to keep him and achieved a harmonious co-existence??
Anihera
Chick
Chick

Re: Conflict: Husband vs Ronnie Rooster

Postby Marina » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:39 am

Hi Anihera and welcome to PC.

I think you've done very well co-existing with an aggressive rooster for 4 years.

Unfortunately I don't know of anything that works. I have 'worked' with aggressive roosters when I had no choice but if I have a choice (i.e another rooster of the same breed who's not aggressive) the aggressive rooster will make a nice roast when young. An aggressive one is locked up in a pen with his girls. When I have to enter the pen I go in with a net, catch the rooster, secure him in a cage and let him back out once I've done what was to do in the pen. I've heard of terrible injuries inficted by aggressive roosters so we don't take the risk.

With aggressive I mean a rooster who chases and attacks me when he is free ranging. A rooster who attacks when I handle his hens is only doing what he is supposed to do.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Anihera » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:13 am

Thank you for your reply Marina.

Our Ronnie has had a reprieve as my husband tried wearing different coloured overalls while working outside.
He had been wearing bright rooster red ones! Having changed to sedate grey - no problems!
Ronnie Rooster hasn’t bothered him since the change.

All is well for Ronnie and his girls again - whew!
Anihera
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:04 pm

This is an amazing development. Now that you have mentioned it - yes, some roosters become agressive toward the colour red. For a time I used a red feed bucket and the roosters went mad (I have up to 30 roosters free ranging while the hens are in pens, mated with just one rooster),
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Scarlet » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:44 am

My husband had the same trouble when he wore red overalls! The rooster would hit him from behind with a sneak attack, LOL. We kept him on (the rooster) because it was only slight aggression towards said overalls, and never towards me. Poor Roger died defending the flock from a feral cat.
2 Partridge Wyandottes, 5 Black Orpingtons, 2 Blue Orpingtons, 3 Barnevelders, and 2 roosters (Barnevelder and Black Orpington).
Scarlet
Pheasant
Pheasant

Return to General Chicken Keeping