Stupid Chickens - banging head against wall.

Discuss all chook related things here!
Also:
* The Library

Stupid Chickens - banging head against wall.

Postby llvonn » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:29 pm

Recently I had to replace the fence between me and my neighbours, so my chooks went to a friends during that period. At that time I also bought them a new coop. The idea was that it has an automatic door, so they can be let out at an appropriate time and the rooster can stay with the girls and not be shoved unceremoniously in a box each night. The new coop is completely dry and wind proof, with lovely shavings. I put them in it last night and removed the perches from the old coop. They chose to sit on the droppings on the floor of the old shelter than go into the new coop. I had to crawl in to grab each chicken to put them in the nice, new, dry coop. Grrrrrrr :roll:

Why can't I have smart chickens?
llvonn
Chicken
Chicken

Re: Stupid Chickens - banging head against wall.

Postby Marina » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:55 am

You need to take away their old coop to speed up the transition. Or at least make it inaccessible.

Most people would be glad if their chooks came back to their old coop every night instead of roosting in trees, etc.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby llvonn » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:01 am

Mine roost in the trees often. I got the coop specifically for the rooster. It worked. This morning the coop opened at 8 am and he didn't start crowing until 9. This evening only 4 hens were not in the coop. Hopefully tomorrow it will be all of them.
My faverolle chose to sleep on her own in the oldest coop (kept for chicks), whereas the hylines went back to the old shelter. Here's hoping for a better night tomorrow.
llvonn
Chicken
Chicken

Postby ReynaldoM » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:54 am

Can making old coops entirely inaccessible cause any trauma to the chickens?
ReynaldoM
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:57 pm

I don't think so. They'll wander around the coop, looking to get inside and if they can fly they may end up roosting on top.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Return to General Chicken Keeping