One egg wonder

Discuss all chook related things here!
Also:
* The Library

One egg wonder

Postby Biffsmum1 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:42 am

One of my 3 light Sussex pullets started laying last week. She layed one egg and gave up. We’ve had no eggs since (8 days ago). I’ve never had Sussex before, is this common with them, or should I be looking for a reason?
They’re fed good quality layers pellets, oyster grit, table scraps (including meat), chicken scratch (consisting of wheat, barley, peas and beans) and have a massive grass and clover run (approx 100m2 all to themselves and their Rooster).
They seem happy, and healthy and are regularly treated for pests.
We keep the run areas vermin free so I doubt we have a thieving rat. I’m sure if we did the Rooster would deal to it as he’s massive and very protective of his young girls.
Biffsmum1
Chick
Chick

Re: One egg wonder

Postby Marina » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:40 pm

Hi and welcome to PC.

At this time of year I wouldn't worry about laying frequency. When pullets first come into lay there is so much hormonal change going on in her body and with midwinter not far away, low sunshine hours, cold and wet weather, she's doing what she can. Come August laying usually becomes regular and more frequent.

I have had pullets who laid 1 egg, then nothing for 2 or even 3 weeks, and then they started to lay a few more eggs. Hang in there, keep feeding them the way you do and they'll thank you for it - eventually.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Re: One egg wonder

Postby Biffsmum1 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:57 pm

Thank you.
I’m just getting into heritage breeds and am not used to their habits and peculiarities.
She has started laying again over the last 2 days, so it looks like it’s all go. :D
Biffsmum1
Chick
Chick

Return to General Chicken Keeping