why can't my older chooks work out the feeder

Discuss all chook related things here!
Also:
* The Library

why can't my older chooks work out the feeder

Postby Firestar » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:34 pm

Hi guys long time no cluck, have added new pullets to garden, they learnt automatic feeder quickly, now one more setting to go and my older girls just can't seam to work out how to use it. So how old is too old for a chicken to learn to use
feeder one is eight, the other about 18 months.

three days so far no results what can I do to encourage them, I put some of their favourit scratch in peck in
no results, just grumpy hens.
Firestar
Quail
Quail

Re: why can't my older chooks work out the feeder

Postby Marina » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:22 am

Our oldest girl was over 10 years old when we got our first treadle operated feeder and she worked it out just fine. Once you have one chook who knows how to operate it the others will come to the feeder and eat at the same time and over time they'll work it out, too.

I've never had a chook who didn't work it out - eventually.

What kind of feeder have you got? If it's a Grandpas feeder it may take longer as the other chooks can't access the feed from the sides. The noise it makes also is a bit more scary than other feeders. You could put a couple of those furniture dots (the self-adhesive dots you can buy to put under the legs of chairs etc to protect wooden floors) inside the lid which softens the noise.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Firestar » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:51 pm

Its home made feeder like grampas feeder but with out sides. The pullets can all work treddle opener. The 8 year old sussex
tries to stick head in gap checks round it. Stomps off in a huff. Then runs back when sees pullets
feeding from it scars them away before pi king up amything they have dropped. Then stomps off.

The 18 month Orpington I notice this morning waited until pullets opened it to feed them attempts to join
them to feed.

They eat the greens at end of day. HOW LONG DO I KEEP THIS UP I DON'T WANT TO STARVE THEM.
?
Firestar
Quail
Quail

Postby Marina » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:47 pm

Can you put a brick on the treadle for, let's say, half an hour at the end of the day so that they can all get a good feed before going to bed?

It may take 2 to 3 weeks before they all get it and if one chases those who are eating away and then finds herself unable to open the feeder it may take a while. Don't despair = they'll get it - eventually.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Firestar » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:41 am

Will totally give the brick idea a go Marina. Thanks for idea and encouragement, the older girls are smart
so just can't work out why this is an issue for them. I even put a little of their favourit sccratch and peck in
to entoce them. But I m not giving up. Lol Thanks again
Firestar
Quail
Quail

Postby sewren » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:59 am

Hi there! I'm with Marina that they will get it eventually, and it's sad but true, that the hungrier they are the more incentive they have to learn! From what you've said it seems like they know that the food is in there, so they just need to pluck up the courage and overcome the fear. They will definitely get there, and having a feeder is SO GOOD in terms of reducing food wastage and worrying less about them having enough to eat, so its definitely worth persevering with them.
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Return to General Chicken Keeping