heritage breed broodiness and lack of eggs

Discuss all chook related things here!
Also:
* The Library

heritage breed broodiness and lack of eggs

Postby CockLUVR » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:53 pm

Hello
One of our heritage girls has been brooding for what seems like and eternity and has now snapped out of it. All 3 are exhibiting normal daily behaviours.
But in recent weeks the egg production has ground to a halt. Hardly any eggs.
Some of the eggs produced seemed to have an easier to crack shell.
We feed a peak layer diet from western mills, so good quality.
We also add in grit.
Do we need to add in more grit to the diet to get a harder shell or is the peak layer diet enough?
Is it normal for these heritage girls that appear in oerfect health to not lay if one is brooding?
We havent seen any rats around to suggest they are taking them.
Cheers
CockLUVR
Chick
Chick

Re: heritage breed broodiness and lack of eggs

Postby Marina » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:38 am

I prefer Weston's Chooks Choice to their Peak Layer as this is formulated for commercial hybrids. My heritage birds do better on the 'normal' feed. The thin shells are one thing I didn't like about Peak Layer. You have to be aware that commercial hybrids are culled after one season so no worries there.

Sometimes chooks take a break from laying and your hen who's been broody for ages will take at least 2 weeks, if not 3 or 4, to get back into lay. Broodiness can be contagious and some individuals stop laying but don't sit. This may be a partial broodiness? They should re-start in a fortnight.

Have you checked for mites? Or have you given them a preventative dusting? This always helps.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Re: heritage breed broodiness and lack of eggs

Postby CockLUVR » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:49 am

Thankyou.
CockLUVR
Chick
Chick

Return to General Chicken Keeping